Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KMacFarla
New Today: 21
New Yesterday: 42
Overall: 148432

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 0
Total: 50

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Hardware and Systems Configuration Management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardware and Systems Configuration Management

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ermanu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Hardware and Systems Configuration Management Reply with quote

Hello,
For our 2000 PC's 60 Servers 100s of System applications environment, I need a document to help me to implement Configuration Management.
And I need help also on the scope. The company I work for is a Aerospcace manufacturing and designing company. How can I define the scope.
Please advice
Thank you
Erman ulusoy
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardware and Systems Configuration Management Reply with quote

ermanu wrote:
For our 2000 PC's 60 Servers 100s of System applications environment, I need a document to help me to implement Configuration Management.
And I need help also on the scope. The company I work for is a Aerospcace manufacturing and designing company. How can I define the scope.

Hi ermanu

Start with the overview of continuous improvement - Where you are now / where you want to get to / how do you get there?

When I was scoping the requirements for Configuration Management I read & digested 'Planning to Implement Service Management' (The Green Book), we then made some decisions based on the amount of money available and the amount of resource likely to be available.

I assume that your figures are for your Live Environment.

Do you intend to cover all your PCs and your Servers + the apps? Or some portion of each?

What about the Test Environment?

What about the DSL - do you have one already?

How far down the hardware chain do you plan to go? i.e. Keyboard and mouse are CIs? or just the PC? Same for Servers?

If just the PC then is there a standard build?

These are just a starter for ten

Finally - what about Change & Release Management?

Here is our document for Config, Change, and Release (we are a Solutions Provider)

Where do we want to be?

In General

In control of our Infrastructure, Finances, Environment, and People

For Config

Able to be aware of all the items that make up our, and our customers, infrastructure, and any failures within them

For Change

Able to control all changes to our live environments, without impacting the service we provide both internally and externally

For Release

Able to ensure that any Change causes the minimum risk to the live environments, and that any risks we cannot mitigate are understood and accepted by the relevant business partner/s

Where are we now?

Able to control most of the Changes to our live environments, however, lack of a Configuration Management DataBase (CMDB) leaves us open to failures by our ‘experts’. Our Release System is, in reality, quite rudimentary. It allows us to release our Changes into live as delta, but does not make allowances for full releases of software. We do not build ‘packets’ of releases. We do not have a dedicated team of independent testers. As a result, the technician writing it tests his/her code.

How do we get to where we want to be?

We need a solution that corrects the shortcomings outlined above. We must ensure that any systems we implement are World Class, and will assist us with controlling our costs, without impacting the amount of work we are able to do.

How do we know we have arrived?

Infrastructure, Finances, Environment, and People are being controlled (shown by metrics), without impact to our ability to respond to emergencies

I hope this helps

Regards

Ed
ermanu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ed,
It was helpful
Erman
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Erman,

If it's the scope of Configuration Management, alone, that you're asking about, you may want to consider the following:

• What is the purpose of doing Config Management for your enterprise (i.e. exactly what is it that they're trying to achieve)?
  • Will you be including the configuration of all or a subset of Infrastructure. If a subset, what subset (servers, desktops, phones, etc.)?
  • Will you be including the configuration of all or a subset of SW. If a subset, what subset (critical business applications, distributed applications, tools, libraries, etc.)?
  • Will you be including the configuration of people and organizations?
  • Will you be including the configuraiton of documentation or any other content specific artifacts?
  • How will your enterprise, at very least, complete and maintain consistent inventories of each of these things?
  • What kind of configurations will you want to track (Design Configs, Build Configs, Deployment/Distribution Configs, Installation Configs, Instantation Configs, Execution Configs, Rollback Configs, etc.)?
  • How will your enterprise create such data (i.e. the processes)?
  • How will your enterprise be allowed to modify such data (i.e. the processes)?
  • How will your enterprise keep versions of such data?
  • How will you identify and maintain relationships between trackable entities that are important (between relevant CIs)?
  • What kind of CI relationships will be important to your enterprise (one-to-one, one-to-many, many-to-one, many-to-many, circular, etc.)?
  • What roles will have rights to modify which data and under what specific circumstances?
  • Where will you get the data for your CMDB from (sources: Systems, Employees, Vendors, Customers)?
  • Who will use the data that comes from Config Management and why?
  • If you intentionally leave things out, above, how will you leave room to add them, later, when the enterprise and your CfM process have matured enough to allow for you to improve CfM?

This is a start. I hope it helps.

My Best,

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: