Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KennethMise
New Today: 6
New Yesterday: 73
Overall: 150044

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 1
Total: 59 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Cleaning up a Mess
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning up a Mess

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harvey
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Cleaning up a Mess Reply with quote

Hello all,

Working to improve our service desk situation.

Currently we have... no single point of contact, no end to end process tracking capability, no real SLA's, among other problems.

I was wondering if anyone has seen a project plan for a "service desk" from scratch type situation I could take a look at.

I would like to see what the green book has to say about this, but I don't have it available to me at this time.

Regards,

Harvey
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,

I'm new and I'm jumping in here, so my apologies if I'm preaching to the converted on this one. Also I think this also applies to your 'pitfalls' posting. Either way you've got your work cut out!

Implementing a Service Desk has a lot of considerations surrounding headcount, technology and user communication etc., but it doesn't necessarily improve anything unless you're planning to bring in the core processes around it that will support it long term: Incident, Problem and Change Management in some form or other, plus some kind of SLA.

Seeing as the you don't currently have the latter I would suggest setting a very general one to use internally in IT to start with, but try and open some kind of dialogue with the Business over this anyway. If you don't have some form of measurement and tangible metrics you won't know whether it's any better than your old Helpdesk. It is imperative that the Business are involved as early as possible in such developments.

So once you've got a plan for what these deliverables are then we can talk about a project plan.

Sorry this is not immediately what you want but every scenario is different.

Cheers,

UJ
Azard
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvery,

what UJ has said is very relevant to what needs to be done. Process is a very important part and should not be over looked.

While I don't have a project plan to show you, here are a few thoughts. What is the current attitudes from your clients towards the Service Desk (SD)? Do they speak highly of the SD, or do they look for ways to circumvent the SD? If they circumvent the SD, then I would look to implement something that would provide quick wins and increase the visibility of the SD.

As the quicks wins get implemented and the SD reputation increases, you should also be working on process along the way. By the time the processes are in place, you would have hopefully changed the view of the SD.

Hope that helps.

cheers,
EndersGame

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Perception is reality! Reply with quote

PERCEPTION

I agree with all of the comments above... The major thing is perception, I always go on about this as this is what rules our reality. The perception that our clients have of us as a whole.... try and find that out. Speak to the stake holders of your business and find out what they think of the SD. Sometimes the smallest things can cloud a perception, the same is true of increasing perception, small but solid improvements and contact can build a good relationship.

Cheers
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: