Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: J1102
New Today: 65
New Yesterday: 76
Overall: 142360

People Online:
Visitors: 55
Members: 0
Total: 55

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Tracking a Release
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tracking a Release

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsemeniuk
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Tracking a Release Reply with quote

An RFC comes in to say they want to make a change to an application. Say add a new field on the screen to capture some information.

It gets approved as everyone agrees the change is needed.

Questions:

1) How do you schedule this type of change, as in when will you know it will be deployed into production?

2) How do you track the development and testing through each of the environments (Testing, Staging, and then into production)

I guess I am wanting to know the status of the RFC that is being used through these stages and how change and release work together to track the new version of software being promoted into different environments, basically being installed on different servers as it passes testing and then finally into production. What process do people use to track this in the CMDB and communicate to people that a new version of software is being installed and an outage maybe required.

Thanks.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your deve environmetn has their own release /version control system/process, then let it run through that

if not, and it is current practice to have dev work through change keep with

same for uat

BUT...

once they plan to do the work to the live environment, the change needs to say about the dev and uat work and the success etc of the release

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
dsemeniuk
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what I am looking for is, once the RFC has been approved to be built.

What process would track its progress from Dev to Test and then finally to production, as in keeping the Status of the CI and RFC to reflect where it is and who that gets done.

Right now we are tracking versions of our custom applications within our CMDB through each environment based on RFCs being submitted before deploying into each environment, that is our key to update the CI status.

My concern on this is that this could get out of hand with multiple streams of development (Prod Support Stream, New Development Stream) and trying to keep the relationships of custom software as to where they are installed could get ugly.

I am picturing just managing the Production environment versions of custom applications (where they are installed, connected to, etc..) and let some other process manage the promotion of these customer applications into the prior testing environments.

I am looking for how other people manage this scenario.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: