Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: lowcostbiletedeavion
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 78
Overall: 144635

People Online:
Visitors: 57
Members: 1
Total: 58 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - proper incident management of a known problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

proper incident management of a known problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockon

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: proper incident management of a known problem Reply with quote

Assumptions: we know for sure there is a problem related to a server that affects many users. Server group has a problem ticket. We also know it won't be too long before users gain their access back.

If calls come in related to the server, I assume we still have to record each as "incident" not "problem", is that correct? And I assume we should attach each incident to the Problem ticket, correct? Should we close the incident tickets immediately if we know server will be up very soon.

Similarly, sometimes users call about their network not working, but it is caused by a problem on the network not users. Can we close the incident tickets immediately since very often the users are satisfied to know that the problem is not just at their pc. We know it will be fixed in the next hour.
Cekir
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory the Incident is closed only after the service is available.
It is however a good question - how is it done in practice?

User's happiness may change every minute and the Incident stays as a fact. Also the Service Desk staff may misjudge the user's mood. I would not rely on that.

I would suggest to record all Incidents, associate them to the Problem and leave them opened until the Server works.

There is yet another question associated with this one. When The Server is down, the Service Desk is flooded with calls. How are they measured? Are they included in normal statistics or they are treated differently. I assume it depends ( Smile ) on what you measure, but I am interested when do you treat such situations differently and how do you change statistics?
rockon

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We probably are going to count all incident/Problem/Change tickets even if incidents are caused by a Problem or Change ticket created by the Problem for the same issue. I don't know what most people do here since if you don't count, then it is hard to sort out what incidents are associated with the Problem and what Changes are caused by what Problem. My software does not do that kind of sophisticated counting. I would think you need someone like Problem or Incident Manager to manually monitor this type of situation and record how many incidents are associated with the Problem.

What do you all do out there? Thanks.
sherlock

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the incident is opened when the service is disrupted. how many users might call, it remains 1 incident: there is 1 service disruption, but may impact several users. here the discussion begins on creating either a call or incident: log a call and relate the calls to the incident, or create an incident for each user and work on the parent incident.

the incident remains open untill the service is back up, no matter how. If you can duplicate the service (e.g. datastore) of your failing server on a temporary server that is accessible, the incident would be closed, because your user can work. However, the problem is not fixed and would require a planned intervention.

Let's say your network will be out on daily basis for at least an hour, this might be a problem/known error. Focus on monitoring tools that can simulate availability and close the incident automatically when it gets back up. Focus on the problem, because your endusers might get frustrated they're dealing with it daily. Also, your availability targets might reach their threshold.
[/u]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: