Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KPutilin
New Today: 37
New Yesterday: 70
Overall: 143526

People Online:
Visitors: 65
Members: 2
Total: 67 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ģ ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Configuration and Release Management Interview Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Configuration and Release Management Interview Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Configuration and Release Management Interview Questions Reply with quote

I have been tasked with developing an ITIL configuration and release process for the Infrastructure side of my business. I developed the following interview sheet to understand the current process. I would appreciate and comments/ feedback on my questions and or approach.

Configuration and Release Management Interview Questions

1. How is change administered within your group?

2. What approval process do you go through (Remedy, ClearQuest, email, or verbal communication)?

3. Are you responsible for assigning the initial resources to implement the change?

4. How do validate the change is ready for production?

5. Is there a formal signoff between QA and production?

6. How is change implemented?

7. What isnít working for your group in the current process?

8. What would you improve in the process?

9. Is there a back out/or roll back plan with every change?

10. Is there a communication plan with each change?

11. What happens when a change goes bad and who do you turn to?

12. Are there any checklists, within your change process?

13. Who coordinates the change with all parties involved?

14. How do communications go out for a change to ct / users?

15. Do you take a snap shot before and after a configuration change?

16. Is there a peer review before the change is implemented?

17. Do you know all applications / databases that run on the effected device?

18. Do you know the risk and or impact of the change (internal / business?)

19. What type of equipment exists within your environment?

20. Who are the users?

21. What type of documentation do you maintain for your environment?

o Hardware Inventory

o Applications

o Router Configurations

o Switch Configurations

o Network Cabling and Protocol usage

o Bandwidth requirements

o Internet Connectivity

o Network Vulnerabilities

o Software Library ( how is it being managed )

Regards
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Digger

Just a few thoughts

All of your questions have validity, however, when implementing an ITIL process from scratch, I would query the order of the questions.

The two most important questions for me are What isnít working for your group in the current process? and What would you improve in the process?

Unless you get the initial buy in from the people in your target areas, you will never get an implementation that works.

They need to see that there is something in it for them, otherwise why bother!

Anyone in your position has an enormous selling job to do. Using the stick rather than the carrot is counter-productive.

The interview approach (I think) implies a form of control that I suspect you do not have.

I would use a forum approach - get them together in a room and brainstorm the benefits of implementing Release & Control, and the dangers of not doing so.

Get Senior Management buy in (if you don't have it already) this helps when trying to sell the idea - most people will only see the control that you are trying to 'impose' as being extra work, too hard, a pain in the butt, takes too long, beneath them, etc. etc.. This is the biggest issue to overcome for you.

I hope this helps

Regards

Ed
Fabien
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few observations for me:

1) I would make sure that I also have questions specifically directed at the IT and Business Senior Leadership to establish a few things:

- Business objectives
- Sponsorship level
- Funding and even more importantly, cost sensitivity
- Urgency

Those parameters are going to:

- Shape your business case/justification to do this in the first place
- Establish whose credibility you are playing with, and help estimate the acceptable risk levels as well as a partner to discuss mitigation.
- Determine whether the sponsor has the right/enough influence to make the right people move in that direction
- Define how you will approach investments, such as what range of tools you can afford
- Determine whether you can lay a solid foundation or run after quick results

These parameters are at least as important as the subject itself. With time, I am growing tougher on risky projects. I hate failures and I would rather not even start.

2) Just wanted to add a note on the forums that Ed talks about. I think they are only valuable once you already have a clear direction and a plan. You will be more successful at your assessment with one-on-one discussions or with very little groups of people working at the same level, and without their boss in the room. What you want is genuine feedback. Once you have the direction and the roadmap, you need to feed it with workshops. My experience of workshops is that if they are not strongly handled, they quickly turn to endless discussions about side-topics.

Hope it helps..... Hey, it just helped me as I put those points together for you Smile

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: