Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Cynok
New Today: 4
New Yesterday: 73
Overall: 150041

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 0
Total: 59

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Is There Any Relationship Between ITIL and an EAF ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is There Any Relationship Between ITIL and an EAF ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenlohwh

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Is There Any Relationship Between ITIL and an EAF ? Reply with quote

Is there any relationship between ITIL and an enterprise architecture framework such as TOGAF?

Googling the two keywords could reveal that the two have commonalities in the change management aspect.

Therefore, does ITIL complements TOGAF and/or vice versa? Is one a subset of another? What are the possible relationships between them?

Any info would be very much appreciated.
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is There Any Relationship Between ITIL and an EAF ? Reply with quote

Hello Kenlohwh,

There is no intentional intersection between the two. Any intersection of commonality is coincidental and should be interpreted as such. Trying to create a forced intersection between the two might lead to more problems than are solved.

My Best,

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
On-Demand ITIL
kenlohwh

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is There Any Relationship Between ITIL and an EAF ? Reply with quote

Guerino1 wrote:
Hello Kenlohwh,

There is no intentional intersection between the two. Any intersection of commonality is coincidental and should be interpreted as such. Trying to create a forced intersection between the two might lead to more problems than are solved.

My Best,

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
On-Demand ITIL

Thank you Frank for you response. However, I still have some questions before I let this topic rest.

Both [No links please] and [No links please] seem to, according to my own interpretation, imply that there is a relationship between ITIL and TOGAF. Is there anyone who has the same opinion?

If there is no relationship, could someone share their views on why is that so?
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kenlohwh,

The reference links you put in were stripped from the post. Could you please add them as broken up strings so they don't get stripped?

My Best,

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
On-Demand ITIL
SergeThorn

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day,
just found this post.

Actually the answer is not adequate.

I've just written a White paper for the Open Group titled "ITIL and TOGAF Touchpoints". It decribes where ITIL could be used in conjuction with TOGAF.

This paper has been just approved by the Architecture Forum members yesterday. It is actually being moved to the standard Open Group template and soon be available on their website.

Kind regards

Serge Thorn

[No links please]
alphasong
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Agree with Serge Reply with quote

There is absolutely a relationship between ITIL and EA frameworks. ITIL is a statement of requirements for how to run IT as a business. EA frameworks provide a structured means for analyzing any large domain of business concern.

It is NOT correct to suggest, as some have done, that ITIL is itself an EA framework. EA frameworks have more structure and rigor, ideally using some form of metamodel to describe a viewpoint on an integrated model, of interest to some particular stakeholder.

My book (see www . erp4it . com) is an application of EA analysis to ITIL, COBIT, and the portfolio management literature, with a bit of CMMI.

Charlie
kenlohwh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Are There Any UML Representations of The Relationships? Reply with quote

Are there any graphical representations of the relationships between the various EAs and best practices frameworks?

I tried to google for one but could not find any so far. If you know of any, I'd appreciate it if you could post the link here. (BTW, is it just me or are all links barred from this forum?)

While waiting for replies, I have created a UML representation using my limited understanding of the subject matter. Naturally, there are a lot of mistakes and omissions there, which I hope someone could point out the wrong or missing pieces. The image is as follows: .

Just in case the forum does a bermuda triangle to the image's URL above, I'm retyping it here with extra spaces: "simplestrats . com / pictures / frameworkrelationships.png".

I look forward to your replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: