Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Dick4087ig
New Today: 2
New Yesterday: 79
Overall: 149780

People Online:
Visitors: 52
Members: 2
Total: 54 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - IT solutions application
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IT solutions application

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter108

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: IT solutions application Reply with quote

Hello

I've been looking for some type of application (details descibed below) to be bale to organize my IT infrastructure, could somebody point me to a place where I could test application like that? This iss very important to me

thanks a lot

IT Solutions Database

The function of this application is to be a (online) resource of computer, server & network systems solutions, best practices, tasks & applications. (not a Service Desk app)

It's meant to be an advisor as far as what tool or approach to use to solve a problem.

It's meant to be a roadmap of your IT operation

The user will be populating the databse with information he/she comes across daily assigning differrent keywords, categories, links, dependencies that will later allow to search for the right solution.

Each record (solution, application or tool) will have multiple tags.

The tool is to provide refined search results from within the knowledge base the user is already familiar with that may contain search results from other sources like Google, computer trainings, books, tech newsletters, etc.

Keywords will be divided into logical groups to allow creating of intelligent search phrases and get most accuarte results

Other options:

- as-you-type search results
- reporting tools,
- ability to attach files,
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: IT solutions application Reply with quote

Hello Peter,

Please feel free to check out our solution, to see if there's a match (www<.>TraverseIT<.>com).

I've included some info, below, so that you don't have to scour the entire web site to see if we meet your requirements.

Peter108 wrote:
I've been looking for some type of application (details descibed below) to be bale to organize my IT infrastructure, could somebody point me to a place where I could test application like that? This iss very important to me

I don't know if this can help you, but we offer a platform that acts as an Enterprise Information Tracking and Knowledge Management portal. In short, it is like a Yahoo or a Google platform that is targeted at enterprises (providing enterprise class information tracking and management solutions, tools & technologies), as opposed to being targeted at individual consumsers (with consumer services, tools & technologies).

Because it is focused on improving IT, it also acts as a CMDB, an elaborate Knowledge Management Solution, and an Electronic Library (e-Library) & Records Management Platform, simultaneously.

I don't know if it will help but you're more than welcome to look at it. If you're interested, let me know, offline, and I'll have someone set up a WebEx demo for you (Frank.Guerino<@>TraverseIT.com).

I've taken the liberty to itemize what we do or don't address so that you can make a decision as to whether it's worthwhile or not, for you...

Quote:
IT Solutions Database

The function of this application is to be a (online) resource of computer, server & network systems solutions, best practices, tasks & applications. (not a Service Desk app)

We do address all of these. You can track Assets, Products, Documents, Projects, Tasks, Assets, Etc., all from one place, and you can easily correlate any item to any other item, in very natural ways. So, for example, you can easily correlate documentation or FAQs to your Assets and/or Products/Applications and/or Resources and/or Services and/or Tasks, etc.

Quote:
It's meant to be an advisor as far as what tool or approach to use to solve a problem.

This can be done by entering and/or highligting Problems in the Problem Management module and easily associating Documentation, FAQs, Policies, Processes, etc.

Quote:
It's meant to be a roadmap of your IT operation

I don't understand what your intent is here. We do track "Strategy" on Products, Services, Processes, Releases, etc., so that users can see if such entities are "Move-To", "Move-Away", "Sustain", etc., all with date ranges that can feed "Roadmaps", such as Product Roadmaps, Service Roadmaps, etc.

BTW, "Thanks". This gives us the idea to convert such information into built-in and self generated Roadmap Reports that we can implement. I'll talk to our staff about implementing such Reports.

Quote:
The user will be populating the databse with information he/she comes across daily assigning differrent keywords, categories, links, dependencies that will later allow to search for the right solution.

This sounds like you're looking for the ability to track anything and everything, put it in an indexable Knowledge Repository, and leverage such information as Knowledge Artifacts. We can do all of this.

Quote:
Each record (solution, application or tool) will have multiple tags.

We support this. Not a problem. We even go one better. Tags are not even needed since we index any and all metadata and their assigned values. So, for example, if you describe your entry in it's "Description" fiel, the entire descriptive paragraph gets indexed as independent words and phrases, allowing you to effectively match to the description with a much higher probability of accuracy, especially when you use boolean based string searches and even far more powerful built-in, form-based, metadata searches.

[quote]The tool is to provide refined search results from within the knowledge base the user is already familiar with that may contain search results from other sources like Google, computer trainings, books, tech newsletters, etc.[quote]

Our tool currently provides very powerful and highly accurate search results from within the system, itself. You can create entries that "point" or delegate to external sources, with their own descriptive metadata. This will ensure your internal searches will pick up anything that you tag as "important" outside of the system (like things that are out on the internet). The key is not to "clutter" your internal library with anything that you wouldn't really want.

Quote:
Keywords will be divided into logical groups to allow creating of intelligent search phrases and get most accuarte results

I believe what you're asking for is what we support and handle through powerful built-in Ontologies, Taxonomies, and thousands of predefined metadata and reference data entries.

Quote:
Other options:

- as-you-type search results

We do not support as you type search results because such a search feature does not allow for boolean based "includes" and "excludes" that yield far more powerful and accurate results. Search-as-you-type is considered a very weak form of text search. What we offer is more like Yahoo' and Google's in that allows you to use powerful include and exclude statements to control what you're looking for. It's more of a dynamic and built-in form text based datamining.

Quote:
- reporting tools,

We support this with many built-in reporting solutions, visualization solutions, datamining solutions, etc.

Quote:
- ability to attach files,

We support this with our built-in Document Management solution that allows for easy upload/download/versioning/etc. of documents and for their simple and powerful correlation to other data entities/records in the system.

As an enhancement to this, we also allow the creation and correlation of other things like FAQs, News, Glossary Entires, general Content, etc.

======================

Anyhow, if you feel there's a match, please let me know and we'll dicuss.

Otherwise, if you choose something else, please let us know what you choose and why. We're always interested in what else is out there.

My Best,

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
On-Demand ITIL
Peter108

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: IT solutions application Reply with quote

Hello Frank

I very appreciate your detailed reply to my posting, I'm interested in evaluating your product, I have signed up for a demo on your website but would like to know first what is your pricing to decide if my budget will allow for this solution

I was suprised to see on your website that map (which I could not see much details about) is it some type of IT structure map? This is one of my requirements I did not specify in my posting, to be able to see in a graphical way IT infrastructure elemets

When could you send me some more info or some screenshots of TraversIT UI? It's very important to see it

Thank you so much

-Peer
CBIA, CA
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Peter,

Thanks for letting me know you put in the demo request. I'll look for it and contact you, personally, so you don't have to deal with any sales people.

With respect to the map, yes, because we maintain true relationships between data entities, we have very powerful Social Networks, Organizational Networks, mind maps, and much more. We can represent things in Graphs, Trees, Sentence Structures (using Semantic Web standards like RDF and WOL/OWL, etc.) We can talk about this and other things in more detail, over the phone.

My Best,

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
On-Demand IT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: