Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: M4660
New Today: 14
New Yesterday: 56
Overall: 145992

People Online:
Visitors: 64
Members: 3
Total: 67 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Design and Develop an integrated software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Design and Develop an integrated software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinlicious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Design and Develop an integrated software Reply with quote

Hello, i will like to ask for advice for my following school assignment..

My team are to design and develop an in-house integrated Service Support software that will support Configuration Management and Change Management.

The integrated software must be able to capture the following:
1. IT infrastructure components or Configuration Items
2. The relationships of the Configuration Items.
3. IT Services and its related CIs.
4. Service Level Management and its targets.
5. All RFC data including the classification of RFC etc.
6. The routing of RFC to the various relevant parties such as the CAB members.
7. Forward Schedule of Changes for each approved RFC.
8. A User Friendly interface for all staff to raise RFC.
9. A comprehensive query system for data retrieval by Change Management and Release Management personnel, service desk agents etc.

It can be developed using any software platform, etc ASP, JAVA, Microsoft Access.

It will be lovely if I got some advice from you guys Embarassed
THANKS!
rinlicious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Design and Develop an integrated software Reply with quote

Hello, i will like to ask for advice for my following school assignment..

My team are to design and develop an in-house integrated Service Support software that will support Configuration Management and Change Management.

The integrated software must be able to capture the following:
1. IT infrastructure components or Configuration Items
2. The relationships of the Configuration Items.
3. IT Services and its related CIs.
4. Service Level Management and its targets.
5. All RFC data including the classification of RFC etc.
6. The routing of RFC to the various relevant parties such as the CAB members.
7. Forward Schedule of Changes for each approved RFC.
8. A User Friendly interface for all staff to raise RFC.
9. A comprehensive query system for data retrieval by Change Management and Release Management personnel, service desk agents etc.

It can be developed using any software platform, etc ASP, JAVA, Microsoft Access.

HOW do I capture all these using the above platform? We have understand the concept in the configuration management and change management but we are unsure of the capturing part.. Shocked

It will be lovely if I got some advice from you guys Embarassed
THANKS!
raroa
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a trivial assignment! Shocked

I suggest you read the technical descriptions of some of the commercially available tools for what they do.

Depends on whether you are supposed to "capture" manually via a screen or automatically. Automated discovery tools interrogate network IP to find devices, then SNMP or other interfaces to find out what they are and what's on them. AUtomated tools can't find services - the mapping from discovered CIs to conceptual services is a manual step (despite the claims of one or two vendors right now)
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rinlicious,

I will have to echo the sentiments of Raroa. It is definitely "not" a trivial assignment and there are entire companies (like our own) dedicated to the building of such solutions.

If you want a visual example of what a system like the one you're building looks like, you can find an example at:

http<://www>.TraverseIT.com/TraverseITUIHome.html

It's a very large effort that consumes a great deal of time, money, and energy and the skill sets necessary to do so are rather elaborate. Just properly designing such a solution can take longer than a year, so I'm rather surprised that your instructor would give you such an elaborate assignment.

Recommendation: Stick to very simple and basic concepts for your assignment. Use Object-Oriented Analsys, Modeling and Design to get your classes and objects laid out. Decouple technology tiers, behavioral tiers and operational aspects (such as workflow) from each other. Also, to keep is very simply use nothing more than simple forms to capture the data and information on all of it.

The "relationships" between everything is definitely a very difficult part. If you feel it will help, please feel free to contact me at Frank.Guerino<@>TraverseIT.com and I can provide you with a white paper that generically captures the requirements for a Configuration Management Database (CMDB).

Anyhow, I certainly hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck with your assignment.

My Best,

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
On-Demand ITIL
rinlicious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Hello,

My team had find it such a hardwork for this assignment and it really surprises us that actually we are doing such a BIG PROJECT!

and we are left with 1 - 2 weeks! Confused

Beside from the lecture notes purchase by us, we have borrowed ITIL Service Support, Author: Office of Government Commerce (OGC) ISBN 011330158

So much more of the theory, and we are not really capable of developing an intergrated software. We have learn ASP, JAVA, etc...

But the 'CAPTURING' part is really tedious!

And we are really appreciated for the replies so far, it makes us come to know that this assignment was really tough!! Rolling Eyes

Rin
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what course is this 'school assignment' ?

The assignment is the equivilent for an Engineering course of building the Aswan Dam or something like that.

There are companys - Ask Frank - that spend months/years in Manhours doing what your school assignment wants

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: