Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DJoslyn
New Today: 15
New Yesterday: 141
Overall: 131706

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 1
Total: 60 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL Foundation Exam (Questions)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL Foundation Exam (Questions)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Matt81

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: ITIL Foundation Exam (Questions) Reply with quote

I have a lot of study material for the V2 Foundation exam and wanted to know if it's even worth taking with the V3 test out?

I really want to take the certification next month, but don't really understand what would happen if I take the V2 Foundation exam now? The only reason I'm leaning towards taking the V2 is because I can find study material.

If I take the V2 exam what would that mean with the new V3 coming out?

Thanks,

Matt
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt

My understanding is that if you have the V2 Foundation and have not yet passed the Managers Exam, you will have to take a bridging exam to enable you to go on and get the Diploma

V2 Foundation is worth 1.5 points
Foundation Bridge is worth 0.5 points
V2 Service Manager is worth 15 points
Service Manager Bridge is worth 5 points
Grand total is 22 points which automatically gives The ITIL Diploma

V3 Foundation is worth 2 points

let me quote from the Getronics Web site

The new ITIL qualifications scheme recognises the value of existing V2 qualifications and introduces a system that enables an individual to gain credits for ITIL V2 and V3 courses. Once candidates have accumulated a sufficient number of credits they can be awarded the ITIL Diploma in IT Service Management.

There are four levels within the new scheme namely: Foundation level, two Intermediate levels, and Advanced level, which is currently under development. To achieve a diploma, candidates must achieve 22 credits, two of which can be gained at Foundation level.

The Foundation level focuses on knowledge and comprehension to provide a good grounding in the key concepts, terminology and processes of ITIL V3. At this level, the qualification remains very similar to the ITIL V2 Foundation qualification.

In the new Intermediate level, there are two streams:
Lifecycle stream
Capability stream.

The lifecycle stream is built around the five core OGC books:
Service Strategy
Service Design
Service Transition
Service Operation
Continual Service Improvement

The Intermediate capability stream is built around four clusters:
Service Portfolio & Relationship Management
Service Design & Optimisation
Service Monitoring & Control
Service Operation & Support

Both Intermediate streams assess an individual's comprehension and application of the concepts of ITIL V3.

Candidates are able to take units from either of the Intermediate streams. These units give them credits towards a diploma. There is a course Managing across the Lifecycle - that brings together the full essence of a lifecycle approach to service management.

Once someone has gained the requisite number of 22 credits through their education at Foundation and Intermediate level they will be awarded the ITIL V3 Diploma. No further examination or course is required to gain the diploma.

The Advanced Level Diploma will assess an individual's ability to apply and analyse the ITIL V3 concepts in new areas. This higher Diploma has not been developed at this stage.

Relationship between V2 and V3
Individuals with existing ITIL V2 Qualifications can use those qualifications as credits towards the diploma.

Any ITIL V2 Manager who wishes to gain the V3 Diploma can take a bridging course and pass an examination. The three day course covers the new concepts within ITIL V3 and fully integrates the benefits of the lifecycle approach.

There is a also a one day bridging course at Foundation which covers the differences between V2 and V3 and allows someone to take an exam to demonstrate their understanding of the ITIL V3 approach.

ITIL V2 Practitioner qualifications count towards the ITIL Diploma in Service Management. Depending on whether an individual holds a single topic certificate or a clustered certificate the credits will vary.

Single practitioner certificates at V2 are worth 1 point
Practitioner Cluster exams are worth 3.75 points

the link is
www<.>getronics<.>.com/gb/en-gb/services/bestpractice/education/itilv3_qualification_scheme.htm

I hope it is not removed

Regards

Ed
The_Matt81

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for your reply

It seems that with the new exams coming out there isn't going to be a practioner or master level certification with the V3 exams.

I still think I'm going to attempt the V2 Foundation exam so that I can get a feel for the topics and possible attempt the bridge to the V3.

After the the foundation exam how do you go about taking any other test to gain the points to acheive the ITIL diploma? Do you have to take recomended courses that have the tests bundled in, or is there a testing center that you can go to after self studying?

Thanks again for your help....

Matt
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt

Studying the new exams versus the old as published by APMG, I am inclined to agree, but what's in a name? Does it matter what the qualification is called, so long as Employers understand the differences and can give credit accordingly - This for me will be the key issue here
I don't know for sure, but would expect that one of the requirements for higher exams would be an attended course as now. Personally, I think that an attended course is superior to self study, as a good course will be far more focussed on what is required than self study.

Perhaps one of our trainers could venture an opinion here?

It would seem you can do various separate courses, within the 'Service Lifecycle modules', if you felt you did not need the diploma. I think the flexibility is still there for the people who may not want to go all the way through the exam process (too old, not interested, whatever)

Regards

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: