Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: WPAE
New Today: 3
New Yesterday: 48
Overall: 146031

People Online:
Visitors: 66
Members: 2
Total: 68 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Strategy to deal with 1000s of Incidents
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strategy to deal with 1000s of Incidents

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Strategy to deal with 1000s of Incidents Reply with quote

Help please.
I have inherited 1000s of open incidents. They are listed in Remedy as having low, med, or high priority. Each incident has an activity history that appears to link them to a change request or a previously logged similar case.
I have been asked to design a strategy to deal with this.
Does this mean going into each call one by one, checking the history and manually going to each change request or similarly logged case?

A case can be linked to a change request that, in turn, is linked to several cases.

I am tempted to get all personnel in each dept to check which calls they have raised (going back 2 years) and update each accordingly, but management will not accept this.

Any ideas?
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Strategy to deal with 1000s of Incidents Reply with quote

Hello Ianm,

ianm wrote:
I have been asked to design a strategy to deal with this.

After reading your post, I have to say that I don't know what the "this" means in your statement that you've been asked to "design a strategy to deal with this". What is the this? Have you been tasked to close as many Incidents as possible? Have you been tasked to restructure how to represent the relationships and the information? Etc.

Could you please clarify?

My Best,

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
On-Demand ITIL Platform
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in a similar situation and used the clean up as a way to measure compliance to a Policy that stated tickets opened to support groups should be followed up on or resolved within a set period of time.

I produced a report that grouped the open tickets by Group Assignment and distributed it to the entire IT organization. The shame for the groups with large number of open tickets (plus the visibility by upper management) helped in getting the groups to address their open tickets.
ianm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The SDM has taken on board the resposibility to deal with these calls, but he doesn't know the best way to do it. Therefore it has passed to me.
The calls are to be reviewed and closed.

Cases are logged by the service desk and put in the queue.
I need to show the relationships between the logged calls and present him with a structured method to keep the cases at a minimum.
Azard
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am not sure what it is you are trying to accomplish and please let me explain. It appears that your SD is not really a service desk, it is more of a "dispatch centre". And please correct if I am mistaken.

There are several things that I think need to be addressed:

1) There doesn't appear to be a clear Incident Management (IM) process as the SDM doesn't know what to do with them. The SDM is the person who should know the most about the IM process.

2) Also, this may have been a design issue, but I don't understand why every incident ticket results in a change ticket. This seems to have create a huge level of complexity that may not be necessary. Keep in mind I am not sure what are considered incidents in your organization.

3) when you say "show the relationships between the logged calls" are you talking about Incident Matching? If so, what do you plan on doing with it?

4) if tickets have been open for years, why are you wasting time trying to investigate them? Just close them and start fresh. The value from the incidents that have been open for 2 years in my opinion is of no value. If it was something like tax data, then yes I would keep it and review it, but these are incidents tickets. You are not going to be able to use the information such as how long this call took; how many times it was transferred, is the solution of value, etc.

My suggestion would be to close them, establish ownership of the incident tickets, and enforce it. Use the new incidents to form a baseline and then after a few months start working on metrics.

This would certainly be one way of managing the que. Smile

Cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: