Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: L86D
New Today: 13
New Yesterday: 72
Overall: 139703

People Online:
Visitors: 65
Members: 3
Total: 68 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - 3 or 5 day practitioner - opinions ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 or 5 day practitioner - opinions ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saxman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: 3 or 5 day practitioner - opinions ? Reply with quote

I have been researching the Practitioner exam options ... what do people feel about the 5 day release & control course & exam versus the 3 day single process option. Is the extra cost/time/effort worth it ?

How much harder is it than say just doing a change management 3 day Practitioner course & exam ?

At the end of the day doing the 3 or 5 day option I would hopefully be a blue badge holder whatever route I take ... so why put extra pressure on myself by trying to do all three at once, is it too much to take on ? whereas studying for one topic will be easier/less cost/less time etc ...

what do people think ? anyone done both ?

Question
ARoll
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxman,

I've gone through the IPRC course and in my opinion, unless plan to be very specialized, is the better route to take. Understanding how the 3 disciplines link and rely on one another is something that you will come up against as you take part in implementations. In the long run it would be better to have a base understanding of the other disciplines. Additionally it can help you careerwise to have that flexibility to move into other areas if need be. Additionally i wasn't aware that the single course disciplines were still being offered but if they are, look at the cost benefit. To eventually take the additional single course or eventually retake the 3 pack will wide up costing more in the long run, may as well do it now.

"Not every change is an improvement, but every improvement requires a change"
saxman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam,

Thanks for the reply.

What is the exam like ? is it just MC or/and essay writing ? how long & how many questions etc .. any tips/advice welcome Wink

Sax
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Adam whole heartily. I trained the 5 day combined courses and it wasn't until day three a lot of the value came out. The first two days were pretty much in depth reviews of the three processes. On day three you start getting into optimization and integration and it gets really interesting.

The test (in the US) is a 40 question M/C, but the questions are significantly more difficult to answer than the Foundation test. You do have two hours (as opposed to one for the Foundation) to take the test.

A lot of the question involve reading a scenario consisting of four or five sentences, and then being presented with a question and M/C answers.
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi saxman

I took the single Practitioners modules (In the UK) and it was a mix of written & Multiple choice - the written on day two, and 26 M/C questions on day three.

If I'd have had the choice, knowing how V3 is going to work, I would have taken the 5 day course instead of Change, Config and Release. - Cheaper and worth more points.

Regards

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: