Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: BFulmer
New Today: 76
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 139889

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 3
Total: 61 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Shoud All changes go through CAB?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoud All changes go through CAB?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsemeniuk
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Shoud All changes go through CAB? Reply with quote

How do other people do this.

I am being told that all changes should go through CAB, no matter how small or big.

I am not in agreement with this as this would probably just bog down the process and efficiency of getting changes completed if they all have to wait for CAB review and approval.

How do other people do this?

Do you have weekly CAB meetings and have set lead times as in you must have your RFC in so many days to the next CAB meeting?

What do you use for turn around times for getting a change reviewed and approved.
sparkz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have always had a level of Change Management approval for low risk, low impact changes. Generally work that can follow a good standard type process but are not preapproved, or, work such as installing a server into a rack.

This allows us simply to schedule the change based on the FSC. without going to CAB.

In my current organisation we are in the same situation as you've described and I am currently implementing that level of authorisation. I do have a model I can show you if you're interested.

Regards,
Mark
mmallory

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Shoud All changes go through CAB? Reply with quote

Hi,
My understanding is that not all changes need to go through a CAB. All changes should be approved either via Change Management review (Change Manager or CAB(/EC), or pre-approved Standard Changes.

My take on this is that it would depend on the frequency of the the change, and the risk and impact.

If frequency is high and risk and impact are low, I would opt for the Standard Change route, otherwise I think that just Change Manager review is adequate.

Thanks
-Matt
ARoll
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with both posters above. not all changes will require to be reviewed by a cab. The basic premise of the cab is to review higher impact and risk changes that could have an impact on an IT Service. By having all changes including small scale items essentially leads to inefficiency and could potentially lead to a rubber stamping mentality. This isn't to say though that apart of your agenda or meeting follow up that you can't include those minor changes that are to be implemented. This would allow your cab membership to see everything that is taking place but not necessarily discuss. A format that i've followed in a previous life was this:

Review of signifficant and major changes for upcoming period

Review of Past period emergency/Urgent changes

Open discussion of minor changes(if any questions for those upcoming)

Review of previous periods implemented changes(typically signifficant/major)

Review of pending to be approved standard changes(New standard changes)

"Not every change is an improvement, but every improvement requires a change"
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the previous posts, however, in the name of accuracy I feel I must add the following.

In point of fact a CAB can be virtual i.e. does not actually meet, it depends on the needs of the business. If the people that you want to attend are required elsewhere on a regular basis, it may become more prudent to do it all by E-Mail (ITIL does not preclude this).

I would agree that a face to face meeting is preferred, but this is not always possible.

Regards

Ed
dsemeniuk
Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkz wrote:
Hi,

In my current organisation we are in the same situation as you've described and I am currently implementing that level of authorisation. I do have a model I can show you if you're interested.

Regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I would love to see the model you have defined.

Thanks.
sparkz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.

Can you give me some details to send it to?
joeblough

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to have weekly meetings setup to discuss all changes along with a set date to submit RFC. Any RFC not submitted before that deadline should automatically follow Emergency Change Procedure.
sparkz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeblough wrote:
You need to have weekly meetings setup to discuss all changes along with a set date to submit RFC. Any RFC not submitted before that deadline should automatically follow Emergency Change Procedure.

I would disagree there. Yes you should have deadlines for the meetings but emergency changes should only be used when there is, or is likely to be, a significant impact to the business if they are not implemented.

If it is simply that the change requester/leader has not done sufficient planning to get the change in on time, then the change should be added to the next agenda.
One of the goals of the Change Management process should be to reduce emergency changes, since they are generally higher risk because of thier nature. That is if your emergency change definition is aligned to ITIL.

Mark.
Mnsotapop

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I'd like to see that also if you don't mind. I'll PM my email addy

I guess PM isn't active?
Steelmaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: model Reply with quote

Mark,If I could see it as well, that would be great!

Thanks..[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: