Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ARolph
New Today: 24
New Yesterday: 59
Overall: 146183

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 0
Total: 59

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Monthly report on service desk activities for the CEO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monthly report on service desk activities for the CEO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dam
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Monthly report on service desk activities for the CEO Reply with quote

Hello,
In the last month I’ve set up a service desk organisation respecting the ITIL approach. Incident management is 100% operational; problem management is progressively taking off.

One of the most appreciated results of this “ITIL implementation” is a detailed weekly report on the service desk activities, which contains several indicators (numbers and graphs):

1)
Incident opened this week vs. incident resolved this week vs. unresolved (aka “stock”); compared with week N-1 values.

2)
For each class of priority (minor, major, critical, blocker), in absolute numbers:
Incidents opened this week
Incidents resolved this week
Incidents resolved in less than 72 hrs
Incidents resolved in less than 24 hrs

3)
Distribution (%) of the incidents opened this week by priority
Distribution (%) of the incidents opened this week by application component affected

4)
Incidents resolved directly by the service desk (no escalation) by class of priority

5)
Average resolution time by class of priority

6)
A deeper look on the critical and blocker incidents opened this week (list)

7)
A deeper look on the unresolved incidents (list) and the top 10 starving issue (list)

Cool
A trend graph with the opened vs. resolved and stock evolution week after week.

So lot of stuff very useful for a weekly meeting I do with operations’ managers. Now I’ve been asked to produce a monthly report for the CEO. This is quite a different task, more than an analytic view it should provide a general and simply readable overview of what’s going on out there. (btw one of most important reasons to adopt an ITIL organisation is to improve the company governance)

Is there anyone that has already passed trough this and have some suggestions? What to include from the existing (above) and eventually what to add, I mean some specific and strategic information that may interest the CEO more than the operations’ managers.

Any contribution is appreciated, this is a key task for me.
andy1971

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple and honest answer is speak to your CEO find out what he / she wants and deliver this information (assuming you have it).
dam
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
I was expecting this answer. You are right, but you know how management works. You -as manager- are happy when your guys do correctly the stuff you ask them to do but you are much happier when they do the same things without the need to ask them to do. So I’ll take in consideration my CEO feedback but I’d like to have a first draft that meets his expectations…

..and makes him hungry. Since another point is that being structured service support management a quite new matter here it is like when you go to a sushi restaurant for the first time: you truly understand what you want to eat only when you see the menu with the pictures.

On the other side I’d rather avoid to put “too much stuff” in the report.

I’ve found an interesting article on this topic (“Service Desk/ Helpdesk Metrics and Reporting : Getting Started” Author : George Ritchie)

Quoting the author:
-------------------------
Why Produce Management Reports from your Service Desk data?

“To enable managers involved in IT service management to make
informed, rational decisions about the IT services and infrastructure
offered to customers”

Alternatively, you might be producing reports for customers, in which case

“To show to the business that pays for IT service (or other interest
groups) the level of service given by, and performance of, the IT
Service Desk. To enable conformance to agreed standards of
performance to be examined”
----------------------------

The weekly report I already produce is of the first type, I think the CEO report should go in the direction of the second type. In general high level management is much more interested in understanding how business meets customer expectations than the internal functioning of IT services.
andy1971

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you hiot the nail on the head when you say "You know how management works..." You are right it is often a political and not a clinical game.

Almost off thread, but the principles are still sound. I was once on a course about giving presentations. The lecturer said the most important thing you should do before giving a presentation is to understand your audience, Regardless of what your presentation is about, make sure it is focussed on the things that make your audience sit up and and notice.

Therefore if your CEO is concerned with cost, show him / her cost related information. If he / she is concerened about a stable environment, show him / her stability related information. And so on...You may not give him / her the exact information they need, but at least get a "hook into them" and show the 'type' of information they need to see is potentially available, and therefore the interest and support to take this further.

So in short....what makes your CEO tick?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: