Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: jhvhyhuw79
New Today: 60
New Yesterday: 175
Overall: 130799

People Online:
Visitors: 66
Members: 1
Total: 67 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL Service Desk Business Case
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL Service Desk Business Case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
txbiker5270

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: ITIL Service Desk Business Case Reply with quote

We've had significant turmoil regarding the acceptance of ITIL in the past. I now have a new boss that is currently onboard, but I need help building a business case for the Service Desk.

Has anyone here written a business case for the Service Desk? I don't have much experience with business cases in general as I spend most of my day managing operations, but I'm convinced that 2 people will not a service desk make. Not when they're the ones responding to people in the field.

Thanks
ramvala

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: business case Reply with quote

hello friend,

Use case narrets the 'current scenario' of your business process. It has process flow with mentioning people involved in it

The general body of business case are as follow

1. Process Name/Use case name: ( process name-in your case it would be service desk)

2. Actors with thiers interest : ( write the stake holder/people by job role with thier interest

3. Pre conditions : ( The requirement in process for execution)

4. Process Flow ( Write all steps in service desk operation)

5. Post condition : ( write the requirement after service desk opertaion)

6. Exceptions : ( any other process flow)

7. Docuemnts & tools in process : ( Write all the documents involved in service desk operation)

8 Process flow chart

9: Area of improvements

10: Require steps to improvement

11 Conclusion
TomS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With every business case, make sure the requirement is captured rather than the request; not just "I want a CD writer" but "I need a CD writer in order to..."

In your case, I think you need to first establish what sort of support the company wants. Is 24hr cover needed or only 9-5? How will you cover holiday and sickness? Usually 3 people is a good number - if one person is on holiday and the other has eaten a bad shrimp then you're in trouble.

Don't forget to talk to your support guys you already have - they can really help you get an idea of the level of calls the service desk people can be expected to get; although once you have a service desk, the level of calls will initially peak once people have a central place to whinge at.
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: business case Reply with quote

ramvala wrote:
hello friend,

Use case narrets the 'current scenario' of your business process. It has process flow with mentioning people involved in it

The general body of business case are as follow

1. Process Name/Use case name: ( process name-in your case it would be service desk)

2. Actors with thiers interest : ( write the stake holder/people by job role with thier interest

3. Pre conditions : ( The requirement in process for execution)

4. Process Flow ( Write all steps in service desk operation)

5. Post condition : ( write the requirement after service desk opertaion)

6. Exceptions : ( any other process flow)

7. Docuemnts & tools in process : ( Write all the documents involved in service desk operation)

8 Process flow chart

9: Area of improvements

10: Require steps to improvement

11 Conclusion

I work for the government (US State government) and review a lot of Business Cases. I applaud the structure you lay out for what should be included in a typical case.

Don
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello txbiker5270,

Unfortunately, a real Business Case will revolve around a detailed cost justification, as this is the only thing that most experienced leaders will positively react to. Soft Saves are considered "wild goose chases" and you'll have to focus on the Hard Saves, that have tangible return, for your analysis to get any real form of respect.

In order for it to make a solid impact on your leadership, you will have to show:

• "Exactly" what you're trying to achieve
  • Why you're trying to achieve it
  • How long before it will all be achieved
  • Detailed Cost to Implement, One Time, With a Detailed Investment Breakdown
  • Detailed Cost to Own, Year-Over-Year, With a Detailed Investment Breakdown
  • Year-Over-Year Savings, as Applied to All Key Expense and Capital Areas
  • Break Even Analysis, With a Clear Break Even Point
  • After you have all of this (and only after you have this), which clearly represents what are considered "Hard Savings", you can then clearly also show the soft saves (e.g. Smaller Footprint to Manage, Faster Time to Service, Faster Time to Resolution, Higher Customer Satisfaction, Better Data Analysis and Exploitation, etc.). However, if you can't provide a clear and solid Cost Analysis, the rest of this will most likely fall on deaf ears.

Anyhow, I hope this all helps.

Good luck with your effort.

My Best,

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
On-Demand ITIL Platform
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: