Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Goxysoabsom
New Today: 5
New Yesterday: 139
Overall: 131694

People Online:
Visitors: 44
Members: 2
Total: 46 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Who installs a DSL (or DSM)?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who installs a DSL (or DSM)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnneMarie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Who installs a DSL (or DSM)? Reply with quote

I guess in version 3 it's called a DSM already...

I am an RM for a Financial Institution, and am wanting to implement a DSM for our organization (I think it really could benefit from using one). Before I possibly "step on other people's toes", I want to make sure of who would be the prime candidate to set-up a DSM (or at least initiate the project). Would that be the Release Manager or the Software Configuration Manager? I'm a little bit confused because of the role of the SCM as far as the CMDB goes. Thanks!
Azard
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AnneMarie, one think I would like to start off by saying is don't confuse roles with people. People wear many hats and you need to define boundaries, share duties, or some other approach that works within your organization.

As for the DSL (I’m still working on the v3 terminology), I would guess if you are doing some sort of SMS push of corporate images to workstations throughout the organization, then you have started a “DSL”. It will have the “Gold” version or latest version of the corporate image that needs to be rolled out. In today’s environment, many companies don’t buy off the shelf software. They buy the license to use it and pay for it within 30 days. So as long as those software are stored in the same place as the DSL, or better yet, on a corporate image, you have your gold version to work from.

As for in-house applications, you need to start to bring all of those applications into a central area. You mentioned a Software Configuration Manager. I would allow that role to handle the DSL as that person can be viewed as someone outside or unbiased with the application from a audit perspective. If you have the Release Manager managing the software, if there are issues and there are time constraints, corners may be cut to get things into the production environment.

However, based on the size of the organization, it comes back to people wearing many hats. You need to define the area that best fits your needs but ensuring you can support any audits that may occur.

Cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: