Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Douglaspt
New Today: 7
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 146220

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 0
Total: 59

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - First ITIL Implementation project
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First ITIL Implementation project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
selhedi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: First ITIL Implementation project Reply with quote

Hello,

i'm new in the implementation of ITIL and i want support to introduce proposal and implement the ITIL processes in the site.
it will be appreciated if anyone help me.

thanks,
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Selhedi,

What disciplines are you thinking of implementing in your enterprise?

My Best,

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
On-Demand ITIL
selhedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guerino,

Thanks for your reply.

I want all disciplines to implement.

Thanks,

Sherif El Hedi
Systems Engineer
FingerPrint Consultancy(HP Implementation Partner)
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sherif,

First, let me say that implementing all disciplines will take a significant amount of work, especially if you're going to be selecting multiple tools to address the needs of each discipline. However, I will say that if you do it correctly, going after many disciplines, simultaneously, will yield far better outcomes in your ITIL implementation.

My first recommendation is that you simply start with the registration and tracking of information within each discipline that makes sense. For example:

- Register and track all your assets in one place
- Register and track all you Incidents in one place
- Register and track all your Problems in one place
- Etc.

Registration and tracking will yield "transparency", which is the first step to improving your environment. If you work to understand when data is created, at the beginning of its lifecycle, and immediately register and track it, you will start to build up an inventory of data, over time, that you can manage and keep clean. As that inventory grows, it will drive your decision for tools & technologies to support it, which brings me to the second recommendation...

My second recommendation is that you look for a tool that offers the most solutions for each of the ITIL disciplines and build your disciplines around it. Selecting customizing, and rolling out tools will be one of your biggest bottlenecks and expenses. Many enterprises that roll out ITIL have a history of paying for very expensive, difficult to use, and highly limited tool sets. The end result is very expensive, difficult to use, and very limited ITIL disciplines.

Our experiences tell us that it is far more important to focus on registration and tracking of appropriate data through its lifecycle than it is for you to implement "workflow". Workflow will slow you down, limit what you can do (because no one ever designs workflow properly) and cost your enterprise more money than it needs to. Define, track and understand your data, first, and then workflow will reveal itself to you, naturally and one simple step at a time.

As for creating a proposal, there are a number of approaches to take:

- Show industry trends. Use research entities like Gartner, Forrester, etc. to show your leadership that the world is moving toward best practice standards to help optimize their business. It will show that you and your staff are not trying to make things up.
- Find obvious financial pain points, in your business, that you can quickly and easily solve by implementing specific ITIL disciplines or pieces of them and put a business case around them.

I hope this helps.

My Best,

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
On-Demand ITIL Platform
jpgilles
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the size of your organization and which maturity level you start from, I would say implementing all ITIL disciplines will take between 2 and 5 years.
I could say 1 year for a rather small and pretty mature organization, but that would not be realistic...
You need to realize that for every single process you will have to go through the full change management life cycle. In addition you may need to proceed by several steps.
Implementing the tools has some importance too , but the real fact is that you will have to manage organisational changes and deal with human beings !

As I usually say when running a training and we talk about ITIL's Change Management: " do not forget that implementing ITIL is a change, and a major one".

good luck to you...
selhedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,

i'm really happy with your replies .

but as you talk about the time i don't know how can i start. i feel it is very
difficult.

i didn't clarify that we still in the negotiation phase and i'm the responsible
for this task.

so, what i want from you to learn me how can i do like this projects.

i'm appreciating your respons and your efforts.

Best Regards,

Sherif El Hedi
jpgilles
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherif,

The best thing to do is probably to hire an experimented consultant to help you figure out how to proceed... that's what we do everyday...As an example, I spent 5 months abroad this year assisting a foreign telecom company with:
- auditing the organization and processes and evalutaing their ITIL maturity level
- defining the target processes and organization
- defining the implementation plan over the next 3 years (based on several considerations,including where to bring immediate added value)
- refining the specifications of the appropriate tools to support the processes.
That plan is pending top management decision (approved already but waiting for budget) , we are working on a plan to assist them with the implementation.

I am sure you can find similar assistance in your area....

best regards
JP
selhedi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear jpgilles,

thanks for your contribution, but i want to say that i am the person who you are talking about and this is my first project in ITIL implementation.

thanks,

Sherif
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sherif,

selhedi wrote:
Dear jpgilles,

thanks for your contribution, but i want to say that i am the person who you are talking about and this is my first project in ITIL implementation.

If this is the case, you will need to be very careful about your implementation. Implementing ITIL appears simple but it's not, mostly because ITIL, itself, has some very big gaps, ambiguities and conflicts associated with it. The best implementers have many years of IT experience to temper and balance the limitations of ITIL. I can tell you from experience that almost every single first time implementer puts some very questionable solutions in place that usually leave enterprises very frustrated with the solution(s) they have to work with. As a matter of fact, we make a business out of going in and cleaning up the ITIL messes made by other people, most of them all ITIL certified (at different levels). I can tell you that there are a lot of these messy and incomplete implementations out there. You don't want to be the cause for one of them. Passing the ITIL tests and implementing ITIL are two totally different things and I recommend that you're very careful about how you go about your implementations, as you might do more damage than good.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

My Best,

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
On-Demand ITIL Platform
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHat I dont understand is why a novice in ITIL is implementing ITIL ?

As you had said, youa re new to ITIL.

Have you completed the Foundation course
Practioner's
Managers ?

The advice jpgiles gave is spot on.

Dont try to DIY ITIL

Hire or contract expert or consultants in the realms of Service Desk, Incident & Problem Management , Change Configuration etc

While we can give you advice here, I dont want to train you on this bulletin board / forum in ITIL. 1 - I dont get paid and 2 - you dont get the knowledge you just get the results.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
selhedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guerino1,

that is what i want to get, so i want to know what the key steps to success.

thanks,

UKVIKING,

i want to thank you for your contribution.

Quote:
WHat I dont understand is why a novice in ITIL is implementing ITIL ?

As you had said, youa re new to ITIL.

you can ask the customer Smile may be for money wise Wink
but simply speaking i want to be experienced in ITIL impementation and i have the chance Twisted Evil

Quote:
Have you completed the Foundation course
Practioner's
Managers ?

i completed Foundation course and preparing to get Managers .

Quote:
I dont want to train you on this bulletin board / forum in ITIL. 1 - I dont get paid and 2 - you dont get the knowledge you just get the results

why Question

thanks,
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selhedi,

I took the foundation exam in 2001.
I took the practioner's for Change, Configuration, & Release in 2002
I took the Managers course in 2006

I worked and managed a Service Desk for 5 years
I was a change manager for 4 years

I am now contracting doing change management

Implementing ITIL can be difficult but not hard

Most companies already have incident - service desk (noc); what the implementation of itil usually mean is usually getting the companies process more oriented to the precepts of ITIL - incident/problem/configuration/chaneg /release etc

The more knowledge the implementation team has about implementing itil, the better the implementation goes.

And the inverse is true.

I can build a house because I know how to use a hammer, saw, nails, and a shovel. But that does not mean I should with out experts. And experts cost money.

I wish you luck in implementing ITIL.

I will also answer questions when you post

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
jpgilles
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherif,

There is no way you can manage it without external and EXPERT help. The main advantage ITIL experts bring is the right way of doing things on first try: you may get to the same result after trying different ways. Now here is the trick: because you deal with organisations and human beings , you have to succeed the first time, otherwise you loose the credibility that is required to lead such efforts. "if you don't do it right, why do it?"

I understand your position but, there is no shame in asking for help when you are a beginner.
Frankly speaking, what would you think of an air pilot that would want to fly alone without flying first with an experimented captain? Would you trust him? Would you ever take that plane?
selhedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING , jpgilles

you don't know how much i am interest with your contributions and appreciate your time wich you spend in replies , but i am really learning from you.
so, please be patient and put yourself in my stuation.
i'm in a pertner for HP and we have a project to implement ITIL there and i'm the assigned person to be responsible for that.
so, i'm trying to share with you and learned from experienced persons as you said.(i agreed with you that i need an experienced with me.)

thanks again,
Sherif
Klingsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selhedi,

The first thing you need to do now that you have defined the "vision" (like they say in the V3!), is to assess where you are now compared to each ITIL process : to help you, the V3 Continual Service Improvement book should be useful to you, especially the 7 step improvement process :

- define what you should measure
- define what you can measure
- collect data
- analyse
... i don't remember exactly the 7 steps but the first ones sound like this if I am correct...

Once you know where you are, it will be easier for you to define priorities in your action plan and implement tools and actions. Wink

Klingsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: