Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: C1592
New Today: 18
New Yesterday: 44
Overall: 146528

People Online:
Visitors: 39
Members: 0
Total: 39

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Foundations v3 - self study, then exam possible? (no course)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foundations v3 - self study, then exam possible? (no course)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rytmx70

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Foundations v3 - self study, then exam possible? (no course) Reply with quote

Hello All!

Thanks for this forum!

I've started contemplating getting ITIL certified and since I've got most of my IT certifications without attending courses I was wondering if I can study on my own for the first level of ITIL and then just take the exam.

Thanks,
rytmx70
ARoll
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having not read much yet into v3 exams and bridging courses, but I don't see why one couldn't self study for the foundation exam. From the v2 perspective that was how i obtained the certification. spent roughly 2 weeks reading a book and re-reading prior to taking the exam.

"Not every change is an improvement, but every improvement requires a change"
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rytmx70,

So you have IT certification ?

Do you have any skills that go with the IT certification ?

What is the point of having the certification if you dont have any of the skills ?

It would be one thing to have done the work for years w/o certification and then going to get certification

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the V3 exam is not yet available outside of a course, as results have to be moderated. It may be available later. I would advise a course anyway, as until the study guides come out, you would have little idea what to study from the 800 ages, 300 digrams etc.
rytmx70

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

About me: over 10 years experience in IT, currently holding a systems engineer position, coordinating a team of about 15 people and administering a number of networks ranging from 50 nodes to thousands. Education: B.S. and Masters in IT. Other than that I have a stack of certs.

The intention of getting ITIL certified is because:

1) I'd like to streamline operations at the current job;
2) I plan moving to a management position.

I'd like to skip the course to save some money (employer pays for exams but not for courses) and besides I find I'm learning better on my own.

Is there any link supporting the statement that a course is needed or not needed?
ITILadmin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible. It is documented here:
http://www.itilcommunity.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2493

It is why we made that thread a sticky.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rytmx70,

I see now. Good.

The foundation course in addition to explaining the fundamentals of ITIL also allows the students to provide real stories about ITIL issues.

If you manage servers or support them, then you are already doing different aspects of ITIL

Incident mgmt - The web site is down ? Sure I ' ll restart the web service
simpling kicking the NT 3.52 server that is hanging on by a thread

Problem mgmt - answering the age old question - why are they still using that piece of crap (h/w or s/w)

Change - let's get approval to put Quake on that server (giggle)

release - damn.. where's that CD or license key ? for quake again ?

configuration - Yea. It has a 80486 CPU and it is sitting where ?

continuity - if it breaks, call me at the bar but move the web site to the other machine

financial - it costs how much ?

service level management - I have to fix the machine in how many minutes or be out of SLA ? The machine takes twice that to restart ?

Availabilty - you want the server available 24 hours a day 7 days without fail ? Yea Right ? How bout 12 hours a day Monday to friday ?

Capacity - I need more RAM on the server - Quake is running slow

So with your experience

1 - take the foundation exam (v2 is still around (i think) )
or
2 - convince your mgmt to pay for the course and the exam

You need the foundation exam before you can take the other courses . The other courses are classroom only

On the lighter side... look at COBIT !!! isaca dot org

Ask more questions in the different room

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
jpbingham

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently completed V3 foundation via self study, did the exam without an instructor led training course and passed with 85%. The sticky above helped, would make sure you get authorised material, there seems to be a few "providers" out there who are a bit on the dodgy side.

I have previously done multiple MS certs and did find the itil cert more difficult to complete mainly due to the fact it is not based on technical knowledge or experience. From my experience 12 yrs worth of admin / engineering it felt really about formalising all the various processes that you end up working within.

It was a bit of a hassle to arrange the exam, I have been used to just arranging it with VUE / Prometric (only V2 is available this way at the moment). Had to call Exin and get a test provider that was local and then booked through them direct. Would probably check and talk to a test provider and confirm it is available for you before starting.

Did the web based exam which is apparently newly introduced for V3 and they had been using paper based exams.

Regarding the statement re "course is needed or not needed?" see the exin faq (exin-exams.com/faq.aspx)
Quote:

3. Do I have to do a formal course at a training provider before being allowed into Foundation examinations?
No, you don't have to take a course. You can also prepare for the Foundation examinations by self-study.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the self study route for everyone especially less experienced people, when cost is important and your learning style can cope with self study then would go for it.

JB
rytmx70

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your answers. I have visited the recommended links and gathered all needed information. I'll start studying shortly and will report here!

Good luck to you all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: