Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MPemulwuy
New Today: 9
New Yesterday: 72
Overall: 139982

People Online:
Visitors: 71
Members: 2
Total: 73 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Help Desk Calculation(s)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Desk Calculation(s)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmermod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Help Desk Calculation(s) Reply with quote

Very Happy

Good Evening !!

I am very new to this help desk model stuff. My company picked me (lucky guy) to work a help desk proposal for a very large company. So I started looking at all the stuff that I could (I could now answer probably one question about ITIL) to better my chances at winning this proposal. We are doing quite a bit about writing for the model and how the SLA's will be generated and the OLA's. So that's not a big problem. My big problem is staffing - it seems that this company as about 2k system users with about 4k pieces of equipment (desktops and laptops and such).

Question is - are there formulas or metrics that I can use to determine how many personnel I need for about 4000 desktops? I know it's a newbie question but I just can't find it on Google (I used Help Desk metrics as the guide).

Can anybody point me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance for any help.
itil_asia
Itiler

Location: South East Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help Desk Calculation(s) Reply with quote

dmermod wrote:
Very Happy

Good Evening !!

Question is - are there formulas or metrics that I can use to determine how many personnel I need for about 4000 desktops? I know it's a newbie question but I just can't find it on Google (I used Help Desk metrics as the guide).

Yes, there are. You could use "user to Help Desk Ratio" published figures (Ixx, Gxxxxxx ) to give you an idea. Average: 1 to 75 , 1 to 100.
1 to 200-250 ratio are not uncommon.

"It depends" is the most likely answer to your question:
- Support will be phone based, via email or other automation system
- Industry of the customer
- Type of users
- Type of Help Desk (only taking call or actual incident resolution)
- Business Hour (any shift required)
- Maturity of Desktop support (does the customer know how PCs they have, who owns them, any deskto policy in place)
- Any other existing tools to support desktop

As a customer, I would be more impressed with the roadmap on how you are going to get me there, from my current situation (example of MIS staff in a multitude of BUs) to this centralised support model.

Good Luck !
Big Al

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of people who work on your help desk will be affected by a number of factors, but the really important concept is around the service levels that you are providing. I can say to you that one help desk analyst is sufficient to meet the needs of this client, based on the assumption that they are happy with 120 day turnaround on all requests!

I would be careful in how you structure the SLA though. Include a clause to revisit it after a period of time which is deemed sufficient to gauge the requirement. Also, you may want to approach the prospective client to ask if they have any statistics on incident volumes - little information is better than none.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: