Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JVVR
New Today: 3
New Yesterday: 60
Overall: 139329

People Online:
Visitors: 60
Members: 3
Total: 63 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Ugh! Paper-based Change Management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ugh! Paper-based Change Management

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scar3face

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Ugh! Paper-based Change Management Reply with quote

I have just been advised that the ITSM tool planned for an ITIL Implementation is still far from close to being ready to go live.

Which means, the CM portion for which I am responsible is going to have to use a paper based system to control the process.

ie: RFC, RFC registry and Forward Schedule of Change.

Has anyone got any tips, handy hints or suggestions to assist with a paper based system?

Thanks.
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi scar3face

I have been using a stand-alone paper based Change Management system since Feb 2002. I have used Outlook, Excel and Sharepoint for the FSoC - Sharepoint is the current application , but there are a number of issues around the calendar view, so we use the list view sorted with newest date first. I have already posted the flowchart for our process on this site for others to use and abuse. I can understand your reluctance to use paper if you have been used to an electronic tool, but with persistance it can be made to work. We were able to show a benefit to the business within two years. I should add at this point that my company is a Service provider to High Street Retailers, so we do do things a little differently!

Hints and tips - where do I start?

I am ignoring things like getting Senior Management Buy in and education of the user base to ensure thay know why this is a good idea and not 'just another job to get in the way'. These apply to any implementation of Service Management!

Ensure that there is only one version of the truth for documentation - do not store copies of the RFC and Release forms in a number of different places - use shortcuts to a central repository.

Ensure that any update to the documentation goes through the Change process and the RFC is posted on the FSoC in good time(so that you are seen as whiter than white). It can be a major problem if users feel that there is one rule for us and another for CM!

Conform as closely as possible to the Blue book in all documentation, if neccessary develop a business-wide standard for naming conventions.

These are just a few of the most obvious - I can go on for hours and hours. Contact me offline if you think any of this is useful or needs to be expanded upon. I will happily share my current documentation with you.

Regards

Ed
ed<dot>wadey<at>pcmsgroup<dot>com
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

when Ihave had to I have used a word based change form to capture the information. I use the form designer to build in drop downs to reduce the typing and to keep as much answers as possible consistent. The form can then be locked (its easily unlocked if people go looking).

This then gets attached to something like sharepoint or even an excel spreadsheet via a link as you need to generate an FSC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: