Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TTilly
New Today: 25
New Yesterday: 42
Overall: 148436

People Online:
Visitors: 62
Members: 1
Total: 63 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Relationship Defining in CMDB
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relationship Defining in CMDB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abhishek1978

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Relationship Defining in CMDB Reply with quote

How define relationship of CI's in the CMDB Concept, please help.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more context is needed.

Bit in general the relation ship between CI s in the CMDb depends on the CIs

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

yes it depends on 1) to what level are you planning to record CI's 2) on the type of CI's you are recording 3) the capability of the CMDB to make the required and identified relationships.

3 is a consideration but shoul dnot be a show stopper.
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I agree, but I would go a step further.
I always start with a question of what purpose does CMDB serve. We all know that many companies use CMDB as a dumping ground for all of their gear and then define relationship based on some unclear criteria just because 'it makes sense'. Little thought is given to what value you, as an organization, looking to extract from CMDB, especially in relation to business service management.

Hypothetically, if you have SLM established, or in planning, one of the things your CMDB will need to tell you is how a specific CI is related to a Service that business provides. From Incident management perspective you want to know a degree impact on a service in order to establish your priority for resolving a specific incident. Consequently, relationships in your CMDB should be built in a way that will provide you with required information. E.g. server A hosts database B which enable Application C which enables generation of financial statements for the company. So if Server A is not available and it is not available at the end of the fiscal, your CMDB better tell you that the priority of this Incident is Urgent, otherwise the company will be faced with legal and regulatory consequences.

I know this is a generic trivial example, but I hope it illustrates what should be taken into consideration when looking and building relationships in CMDB.

I welcome other suggestions and ideas as I am sure there are many great information and experiences I would like to be exposed to.

Thanks,

Michael
Cotswolddave
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the BCS-CMSG web site. They ran an event in December called designing the CMDB and the presentations are downloadable. Various practitioners covered the different viewpoints and it may help with internal communication or direction.

I presented at the event at thought it was well balanced and helped to unpick the confusion caused by the ITIL CMDB concept.

A key message was to make your CMDB as small as possible - it may then deliver the value you want. If you try to put everything in it you will fail to get the intended benefits - as most CMDB programmes do.

Dave
Azard
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, one thing that I find is when most people talk about Configuration Management, they mainly focus in on the CMDB. The CMDB is but one aspect of the Configuration Management Process. As you work through and define your Configuration Management process, you should be able to start to define the appropriate information to keep within your CMDB. You should be involving many stakeholders who may have an interest in using the information. You will then need to decide what information stays, and what is held elsewhere.

I agree with Cotswolddave in that many people try to make the CMDB the dumping ground and will be bound to fail, however, I would like to say, keep track of the appropriate information, and allow for growth as your needs will and should change as the business grows.

Cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: