Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CA40
New Today: 19
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 146232

People Online:
Visitors: 42
Members: 2
Total: 44 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Foundation Certification - Help needed!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foundation Certification - Help needed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy301

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Foundation Certification - Help needed! Reply with quote

Hi,

I am fairly new to ITSM and would like to know more about the certifications. I came to know that there are 3 levels of certification - foundation, practitioner and Managers. I guess I need to start with Foundation. But I also heard that Foundation and Practitioner are almost similar and at the same level. Could anyone tell me what is the difference between these two? Also, how do I go about preparing for the certification (considering that I would go with the Foundation certification first)? Are there any training institutions that would provide any training or do you think that Self study is better? Can you also tell me where can I find the study materials for the preparation?
Thanks in advance for your time.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy301, Welcome

First look through the other threads that are on the subject in this in other room. but since I like to hear and see my own text....

Foundation - foundation gives you a basic understanding of ITIL and how it is suppose to work. If you take a course, your instructor will get your fellow classmates to provide shaggy and non shaggy stories about IT issues

NOTE: A Shaggy dog story can be compared to telling a fairy tale or a true story

One begins once upon a time.. the other start no really this happened

The foundation course will make try to understand not only the terminolgies but the philosphy and understanding behind the disciplines

Since the course is 2 1/2 days with the exam on the end of the 3 day course, there is about 1-2 hours per discipline - 10 discpline plus 1 function under v2. The course usually is a combination of lecture and classroom participation.

Every body takes the foundation course so you may have high level middle & senior mgmt as well as IT beginners and IT staff - low level and new to the business

The Practitioner's course is a little different. They concentrate on 1 or more discipline depending on the course. The practioner course is usually for people in a specific role who want some concentrate ITIL training to re-enforce their role at their job.

Change Management people take the change or the change, configuration and release course because they are related

Service Managers - SLM

Service Desk & Front desk people - Incident, Service Desk and maybe problem

etc

The practitioner course is NOT a required course to take but it does give you the 'paper' for a specific area.

I like change, config and release but some fellow staff think it is boring.

The final course is of course the manager's course.

This is 2 weeks of 1 day per discipline 5 days on Support 5 days on Delivery

Then there is a review day a couple of weeks before the exam.

Then you have a 2 day exam - the support is first in the afternoon, the second delivery is in themorning the second day.

The exam consists of 5 questions for which you must answer the question using the case study provide in a 3 hour window

Each question may consist of 1-3 parts breaking the points per question of 20 into 10 or 5 points per sub question

You have to hand write the answers - double spaced and single sided.

My support and delivery papers were both 30-40 pages single sided double spaced

It is hard. I studied for weeks and weeks and weeks. I aced the Delivery exam (high 60s)

The support exam I failed twice because i kept answering the change question the way at work and not using the case study and the ITIL way.

Hopefully I have answered enough for you.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Sandy301

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your wonderful answer, UKVIKING.. I pretty much got the idea of the certifications.
As mentioned, I am new to this forum and I was going through some of the threads on preparing for the certification exams. I got to know that there are different versions (like V2, V3). Does that mean that V2 is outdated and now, if I need to take the certification, I can only go for V3? I also noticed in other threads that http://itil.certification.info/ is a good website for people who are self studying. Do you recommend any other source of study material?
Appreciate your help in this!
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITIL v2 is where the main focus is on service delivery and service support, hence the red and blue book.

ITIL v3 came out earlier this year and takes a different approach to the whole model

Does v3 invalidate v2. No. It merely re-organizes the different disciplines

Training

v2 can be done self study. I personally dont recommend self study. 1 - cause your teacher is a jerk and your students are morons. That is my experience.

The main problem with self study on ITIL is that you get no context and examples from fellow students if you merely study at home. And you cant ask an expert about an issues.

V2 or V3

Take foundation exam for V2 either self study knowing the constraint on the teaching/learning/retaining cyc;e.

As to materials - the Blue and red book for one. There is a book about foundation which Liz mentions in other threads in this forum

Look on the itsmf web site about the certification cross over to v3. If you take v2 stuff, you amy want to take v3 courses as well

NOTE: I have the Manager's certificate in v2. I have the books for v3 but I dont know whether I desire to take the courses for v3 at this time
It bears no relevence for me

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: