Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: IQGR
New Today: 47
New Yesterday: 99
Overall: 143722

People Online:
Visitors: 70
Members: 0
Total: 70

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Still looking for Impact definition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still looking for Impact definition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jubejell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Still looking for Impact definition Reply with quote

hello we are new to ITIL. We are in the process of setting up new service Desk software and in doing so we are also using the ITIL methodology to set this up. One place that we are getting stuck is figuring out what or how we should define the IMPACT and Urgency. Can anyone just give some examples of how you have defined IMPACT and URGENCY.

example

Urgency: amount of time user can be down or without service
Impact: amount of users without service.

Can you give me examples of how others have defined these two items?

thank You
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impact
Measure of the business criticality of an Incident, Problem or Request for Change. Often equal to the extent of a distortion of agreed or expected Service Levels.

Urgency
Measure of the business criticality of an Incident or Problem based on the impact and on the business needs of the Customer.

Both came from the ITIL Glossary. You can get that for free at the best practice web site

In other words impact means how is the service being affected by ...
In other words urgency means how critical is it to get the impacted service back to full service

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
scook2003

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its like this say for a car company.

Server controlling production robot down high impact, high urgency as cars cannot be produced.

Directors PC down - low impact, high urgency. Only affects one user but he is important.

MS Messanger down high impact, low urgency. Affects many users but does not mean users cannot work. (probably increases productivity Wink )

I would say impact is increased via amount of users or other services affected.

Urgency would be increased via amount of money lost per hour/minute.

Both would be decided by the business and amended to the relevant SLA's.

I think it goes like this:

Urgency + Impact = Priority
viv121
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it goes like urgency+impact=Priority. Important is that we have something like classifications in place . We can have something like gold, silver and bronze classified for the applications which are linked with revenue and which are used widely in the organization .Based on the metallic gategory we can develop a RTO ( Recovery time objective )matrix. This means that a Gold category application which has a lower RTO than silver and bronze and therefore incidents related to gold application will have a higher urgentcy+impact leading into a high priority . Director's excel crash can have a high urgency but low priority. We need to be careful with assigning a priority of an incident as the ITSM tools nowadays are smart enough and send alerts across the who's who in the company .

Regards
Vivek
joshedison

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the manager for the Global Helpdesk for my organization which is a BPO & my team handles calls from 25 centers worldwide. The common practice we follow is thus:

if more than 30% of users are affected - Priority 1
if more than 10% & less than 30 % users affected - Priority 2
if more than 0% & less than 10% users affected - Priority 3
if it is a non-business impacted issue - Priority 4

My team also follows an escalation matrix based on the priority of the incidents. Also, a predefined SLA of response time & resolution time based on the priority of the issue is also followed.

Do let me know if this info helped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: