Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ALlanas
New Today: 66
New Yesterday: 73
Overall: 143558

People Online:
Visitors: 67
Members: 2
Total: 69 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Effectiveness of Problem Management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Effectiveness of Problem Management

View previous topic :: View next topic  
praky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Effectiveness of Problem Management Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Recently my company has implemented ITIL main process (Incident, Change & Problem). I've been assign to draft out a process to measure the effectiveness of the problem management. Is someone in the industry have done this before. Please advice. Thanks
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Praky,

Problem Management is the proactive process of addressing quality improvement in Products, Services, and Processes.

Since one of the many ways of identifying Problems is to scan the Incident inventory for trends and patterns and use that information to address quality improvements for Products, Services, and Processes, some ways of showing the impact of Problem Management are to prove that:

• Quantity of occuring Incidents have decreased for one or more Products, Services, or Processes.
  • Time to resolve Incidents has dramatically gone down, when it comes to servicing Incidents for specific Products, Services, and Processes.
  • Cost of handling/addressing Incidents has gone down for specific Products, Services, and Processes.

The key is to find patterns and trends in your Incident inventory, around specific Products, Services, and Processes, that show the state before Problem Management was performed and then compare it to the Incident patterns and trends in your Incident inventory after Problem Management was performed. The "after state" should show a clear, tangible, and quantifyable improvement over the "starting state".

Problem Management, when done correctly, should show a constant improvement trend in specific Products, Services, and Processes... and ultimately in your enterprise.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

My Best,

Frank

Last edited by Guerino1 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:22 am; edited 2 times in total
ITILiano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Frank on this one..... the baseline metrics that you using as your measuring stick if you will, are very key. Chose metrics that should show what effect problem mgt is having on service improvement.

Regards,
David
praky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agreed with you comment. I still cannot understand how we can measure the effective of PM when we do not have the baseline to compare. Probably I would turn the question the other way by asking what is the industrial to measure effective of PM? e.g % of KE vs RC?

In ITIL service matrix handbook that are few KPIs been recommended and it can be implemented easily but how do we know it has been improved? Probably this is the changellange that service management folks that still trying to figure out. Probably I'm wrong as well. Hope the guru of ITIL in this forum could share some light.
Globis
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agreed with you comment. I still cannot understand how we can measure the effective of PM when we do not have the baseline to compare. ...

In ITIL service matrix handbook that are few KPIs been recommended and it can be implemented easily but how do we know it has been improved?

The simple answer is that you don't.

If you have no measurable baseline, then your only means of testing your ITIL implementation's initial effectiveness is subjective i.e. customer satisfaction surveys. Goto your users and ask them if they think it is better than before. Beware though, any smart creator of surveys will ask you 'What result do you want?' and create the questions to produce that result;-)

Don't worry about before too much, and concentrate on measurement from a known baseline, i.e. after your initial implementation. Management are often just impressed at having numbers where they had no numbers before. If the numbers are good, even better!

(And remember upper management's mantra when presenting results to them: Green is good, red is bad, Green is good, red is bad, Green is good, red is bad;-)
Jules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest some KPI's...

Effectiveness:
% incidents matched to problems
% incidents matched to known errors
% reduction in time to identify workarounds

There is no baseline 'pre PM' except to count the reduction in number of changes arising from priority 1/2 incidents since introduction of PM.

Efficiency:
Measurement could use same criteria but measure time spent on PM activities

Hope fully the curves are all positive over time as the process matures.

....but please shoot me down.. I am here to learn!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: