Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TabithSolo
New Today: 44
New Yesterday: 106
Overall: 149921

People Online:
Visitors: 34
Members: 0
Total: 34

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Implementing, where to start first?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Implementing, where to start first?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Implementing, where to start first? Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to implement the various components in ITIL. Any tips on which module start implementation first?

I am thinking of Service Desk first, since Prob Mgt, SLA, Change Mgt in a way revolves around it. Whats next then?

Comments please
highdiver_2000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the above. Not too sure why it appears as Guest.
davyjimjam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of what needs to implemented first, this should all really depend on the requirements of the business you're supporting as well establishing where quick-wins can be used to re-affirm the commitment of ITIL adoption. It also depends on how you implement ITIL e.g. phased multi-process approach, single process approach or 'big-bang' (personally I wouldn't recommend this as ITIL is essentially an organisational Change programme - and organisations don't tend to like this, seeing ITIL as something which is imposed rather than adopted and adapted!).
Finally, there is also the question of what your vision of ITIL is and also the current assessment of the support Infrastructure - the demands of both will help 'guide the way'.

There are some slight variations to this rule in that certain processes become less effective without the presence of others e.g. Problem Management cannot be implemented without an Incident Management input. Configuration Management can be introduced but the CI's and CMDB become outdated without sufficient Change Management processes to reflect Changes within the Infrastructure.

Anyway - I hope this helps!![/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Where to start Reply with quote

I recently read this white paper:
bitpipe.com/detail/RES/1110995399_466.html

It suggests that Problem Management is a good place to start - which I think is unusual... but they make a strong argument. It's just one opinion, but it may be worth a read to jog some ideas.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! i have been involved in BS15K implementation in my org. Came across your request and thought it ideal to share my thoughts...
According to my experience the best way to start ITIL/BS15K implementation is by "Defining your IT Servies". IT services will be form the basis of implementation of everything else. This effectively means that the first place to start is Service Level Management. Once this process is implemented you can then implement Configuration Mgmt (Can be done simulataneously too) and then proceed towards Incident, Problem, Change & Release Mgmt. Infact, lot of whitepapers suggest that IT Support is the right place to start with in ITIL implementation and i tend to agree on this.
Also, my personal suggestion is to go step-by-step and not to take the big-bang approach.
Hope this is useful. Very Happy
Ashish
RandyASteinberg

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The goal is to implement Service Management - not individual processes. This is a big mistake that most IT people make. It is recommended that all 10 (plus Service Desk/Security) be done at the same time.

The ITIL Book - Planning To Implement Service Management - page 15 first paragraph 2nd sentence states this directly. By implementing one process at a time (or several processes at a time) you end up doing rework down the road and missing on many benefits. There are dependencies across all processes with each other, although some may have more from others than most.

There should be a Service management Visioning effort done at the start - one of the outcomes is to determine which of the 10 processes you will spend more time going in depth with than others. This determination will be done along with and aligned to the business need. Many people make a second mistake of letting IT pick which processes they will prioritize.

Feel free to drop a line at RandyASteinberg@aol.com. There is much more on this subject and how to get started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: