Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: E87J
New Today: 13
New Yesterday: 70
Overall: 146112

People Online:
Visitors: 53
Members: 1
Total: 54 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Post Implementation Review - question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post Implementation Review - question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiner3lima
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Post Implementation Review - question Reply with quote

Would it be possible for someone to definitely state whether it is the Change Mangers responsibility to perform the Post Implementation Review of each submitted change or is it the responsibility of Change Management to ensure that a PIR is performed by a member of the team submitting the change but not the originator.

As Change Manager, I have specified to anyone who submits an RFC that they must designate a Peer Reviewer who will perform the PIR. This persons name is clearly stated on the RFC.

Am I right to do this? or is it part of the CM role to perform all PIRs?

Thanks again ITIL Community.

Regards,
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as with all such questions, it's whatever works for your organisation and how you want to define it.

In my organisation, if a Change was implemented without impact and a reveiw is required afterwards then the Project or Support team carry that out.

If any impact resulted from the Change, then Indicent Management pursue a root cause, and if it was significant enough (again, this is subjective) then our Problem Management team will pull together a PIR to understand what happened, why, and how it will be prevented in future.

Purists could argue quite successfully that thsi isn't aligned to ITIL, but for us it works well.

BTW, Change Management look at every Failed Change to assign a 2 level 'analysis' code and report the overall trends back into the business, but that's as far as we go.

Others will do it differently and so may you Smile
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a similar view. At a minimun the C Manager should ensure that a PIR is carried out - but not that they have to do it. For failed changes the C Manager may be more involved.

Be sure that whatever you decide that you have it clearly documented in the CM process, and that the roles are updated to reflect who does the PIR and when. And finally that the process is resigned by senior management and that it has their backing so that you can enforce it.
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Post Implementation Review - question Reply with quote

Shiner3lima wrote:
Would it be possible for someone to definitely state whether it is the Change Mangers responsibility to perform the Post Implementation Review of each submitted change or is it the responsibility of Change Management to ensure that a PIR is performed by a member of the team submitting the change but not the originator.

As Change Manager, I have specified to anyone who submits an RFC that they must designate a Peer Reviewer who will perform the PIR. This persons name is clearly stated on the RFC.

Am I right to do this? or is it part of the CM role to perform all PIRs?

Thanks again ITIL Community.

Regards,

Per Service Support book section 8.5.12, Change Management must review all implemented Changes. It is not defined as a responsibility of a specific individual such as the Change Manager. in fact the book suggests that Change reviews may be tabled at CAB meetings (which has representation from both the IT and user community).

Don
Shiner3lima
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you all for swift replies. I have been picked up by my auditors for allowing the PIR to be performed by the Implementor of the RFC as according to them it should be done by another person in order to perform an impartial review. I tried to mitigate this by saying that as CM I was verifying what had been documented but this was deemed not acceptable.

Bit strange?
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Post Implementation Review - question Reply with quote

dboylan wrote:
Per Service Support book section 8.5.12, Change Management must review all implemented Changes.
Surely that's a recommendation, as with all ITIL stuff?

Additionally I'd propose that 'review all implemented Changes' is a subjective statement.

Do I make sure all Changes in my organisation are closed as Successful or Failed on our system? Yes.
Do I review whether all Changes in my organisation achieved their business goals (ie deliver efficiency, drive customer growth, reduce licence costs, etc)? No.
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Post Implementation Review - question Reply with quote

Skinnera wrote:
dboylan wrote:
Per Service Support book section 8.5.12, Change Management must review all implemented Changes.
Surely that's a recommendation, as with all ITIL stuff?

All the material in the ITIL books are recommendations. ITIL is not an auditable framework. For auditors, you would want to look up what ISO 20000 says about Change PIRs.

Skinnera wrote:

Additionally I'd propose that 'review all implemented Changes' is a subjective statement.

Do I make sure all Changes in my organization are closed as Successful or Failed on our system? Yes.
Do I review whether all Changes in my organization achieved their business goals (ie deliver efficiency, drive customer growth, reduce licence costs, etc)? No.

I would say that all Changes do have a PIR of a sort. The formality of the PIR will vary with the impact of the Change.

Upgrade the OS on all enterprise servers = Very formal PIR

Change a print queue name on a server = Yup, it worked. PIR completed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: