Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AVanRaalt
New Today: 60
New Yesterday: 65
Overall: 148016

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 2
Total: 60 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service desk - tools, budget and implementation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service desk - tools, budget and implementation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiowa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Service desk - tools, budget and implementation Reply with quote

Hi all,

i'm a newbie on ITIL, but i work in IT since years (and i've seen that best practices learned from experience are often similar to ITIL suggestions...).

currently i'm in charge of the implementation of a new service desk for a company with more or less 9000 users and 200 it guys, in 80 sites.

we DON'T have a central helpdesk and i have to choose one tool. to summarize:

Target:

Move from an helpdesk to a SERVICEdesk view.
One single tool supporting all IM for the group.
Guarantee service support and service delivery
Monitor SLA, critical/frequent problems
Reporting
Improve communication
Create a knowledgebase documenting every task/problem
Move from a local support perspective to a skill oriented support
Follow (where possible) ITIL guidelines
Priority management improvement

System requirements:

Single point of contact (SPOC) for all IM requests (incidents/service requests)
CMDB - An asset register which holds their configurations and relationships
Multi language (users should be able to use it easily)
User oriented instead of IT oriented (easy to understand)
Web based
Self–service: the user should be guided to identify the problem and to route the request
Integration with our structure (AD, Exchange, if possible Sharepoint)

i would like to know if someone is in a similar condition and i would like to have some suggestions for products/implementation....

Thank you!

Kiowa
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont want much do you ?!!!

You need to take your requirements to the big boys who produce tools

CA, HP, remedy, etc

Get them to provide you with their options

the language issue is going to be the hard part

while the tool should support other languages

usually w/multi national companies one language usually english is its various flavours is the business language

one thng

what do you mean by guarentee service support and service delivery ?

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to Jonh's comment. For the implementatio of that magnitude, you should have the "Big Boys" actually come in and do a proof of concept for you. We found it very handy from a couple of points:

1. Gives you a better chance to properly evaluate their abilities to meet your requirements
2. Gives your guys who will be stuck supporting these apps a leg up from technical stand point.
3. It's free, so you've got nothing to lose Smile
Kiowa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
you dont want much do you ?!!!

yes, maybe...but this is what the company wants from me... Wink

UKVIKING wrote:
You need to take your requirements to the big boys who produce tools

CA, HP, remedy, etc

Get them to provide you with their options

the language issue is going to be the hard part

while the tool should support other languages

usually w/multi national companies one language usually english is its various flavours is the business language

one thng

what do you mean by guarentee service support and service delivery ?

ops, i used part of a presentation... service support and service delivery is something related to our SLAs...nothing important during sw selection ... Wink

thank you for your suggestions..and yes, language seems to be the main issue... the tool will be in english for technicians, obviously, but i have a lot of users in different countries that will not be able to use the tool if not in native language
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - at this stage do you have any workflows worked out i.e. how you want the change management process flow to be???

I find it a lot more cumbersome and time consuming to re-engineer a tool later and just taking a standard workflow that wasn't specific to your organisation.

I do understand that on the magnatude that you want that you may not get time to work out all the processes but do try to understand what flow you need for the basic operation and build on it from there rather than have to go back and totally redesign the process flow in the tool.
Kiowa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point... currently we have some workflows in place, but we rae moving our IT from a national perspective to an integrated service (without the strong relation currently in place with nations), so we are re-designing all the IT structure. This means that a lot of new workflows should be discussed and implemented. as you can imagine this is not a technical problem, but it's a big challenge from an organizational point of view...

not exactly an easy project, isn't it? Wink
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... "This means that a lot of new workflows should be discussed and implemented. as you can imagine this is not a technical problem" ... it is if you want a particular workflow but the tool of choice cannot be configured to do what yiu want. Does it happen - yes it does.
xianne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have a busy and interesting project ahead of you!

Are you covering all of Config, Incident, Problem, Change, Release, and Service Requests, all with SLA parameters built in? Do you want to integrate systems and network event management? Do you want to integrate other tools? Do you have a good view of what you need from this implementation?

Start by developing a shortlist of vendors / products. Gartner can advise on the market leaders. Your organisation may already have preferences for good reasons.
There are a range of obvious vendors to initially engage with - which ones might be more suited to you depends on your infrastructure, your existing partnerships, and your requirements.

Define your high level requirements. Get the shortlisted system vendors in for a high level analysis of their offerings. Weed a few out after the first round of engagement / POCs with them.

Get a detailed business and technical requirements specification to take to the detailed stage - the commercials are going to be just as important to the business as the functionality and interoperability and supportability is to the IT dept.

If you want more advice, PM me, I have recently implemented just this type of project for a major UK company.

The other posters are right - you might struggle to find language translation capability!!
new_kid-2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't say something original.

1) What do you want?
2) Why do you want?

I see, you "have" so much users, you can call. That's why you need to know, what's the primary IT resource they use. And how good is it? (i mean availabiliy, continuety).

If talking about a tool, we use Axios Systems "Assyst". I think, it's ok.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new_kid-2,

Ignore the Tool.

What documentaty evidence do you have on what the process flow is for Incident, problem, change etc

Is the process documented - beyond the document to use the tool
Is the process/documents available to all users/mgmt/etc
Do all the people in the flow know their role. have they been trained

This is what Mark is saying.

Merely having the tool being the process is not best practice.

I shudder to see an auditor ask a staff member
why are you doing that

and teh reply would be because that is what i was told to do
instead of
the process is to click ... which .... blah .blah

Doober
Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
Merely having the tool being the process is not best practice.

Yet this is exactly what the "Big Boys" you refer to in post #2 will try to sell.

The time of the old guard is over. With tools like Service-Now hitting the market, I'm positively envious of people just getting into the tool market. The Big Boys could care less about our combined industry experience. They aren't REALLY listening to what we want out of our tools. They're all but arc-welded to their decades old databases and buggy stone aged applications. Each new release is a couple squirts of Fabreeze on the same old crap.

I've been saying for a couple years now that the Big Boys are putting themselves out of the market. Some day, a group of people will sit down, start from scratch, and build a beautifull application with modern technologies on freshly designed databases that actually come close to meeting our needs. That time is no longer coming. That time is now.

Sure... Kiowa should see what the Big Boys have to offer. But she should also check out players like http://www.service-now.com to see what the industry can REALLY offer.
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doober

You are in danger of falling into the same trap that you blame others for catching.

The basic premise that both John and Mark have made plain is 'Let the tool fit the process not the process fit the tool'

I cannot think of better advice.

Ed
Doober
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
You are in danger of falling into the same trap that you blame others for catching.

The basic premise that both John and Mark have made plain is 'Let the tool fit the process not the process fit the tool'

I cannot think of better advice.

I think you misunderstand my position. The biggest champions of "process should fit tool" are the big name vendors today. Sure they SAY "tool should fit process" but what they mean is THEIR vision of the process, not yours.

I'm not blaming anyone for catching a trap. I'm blaming the old guard vendors for selling us turds and telling us its caviar.

I came up in this industry on the tool side. I've never been stupid enough to proclaim "process must fits tool". I've always viewed a good tool as one providing enough flexibility to implement ITIL processes in a manner practical for my organization.

I drink the "tool must fit process" koolaid. What I don't buy is the BS the big name vendor's are selling. Why? Because their tools do a piss poor job of fitting processes. Furthermore, telling someone who's looking for a tool that "tool should fit process" is like telling a car shopper to buy something "that has four wheels and an engine"
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doober what's koolaid? Sounds tasty.

UJ

(Beige badge)
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kool AId is a powered fruity tasting sugery drink

It usually comes in a pouch

IT was famously used in the Guyana Jim Jones massacre where the followers of him drank the poisoned grape kool aid

It is an american thing

like my biscuits and gravy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: