Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ANewman
New Today: 43
New Yesterday: 76
Overall: 142338

People Online:
Visitors: 75
Members: 5
Total: 80 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL- how?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL- how?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: ITIL- how? Reply with quote

I've recently studied ITIL for university, learned the stages involved and took and (just) passed the exam.

However now the time comes that I'm supposed to apply this in a written report on the implementation of ITIL v3....
Does anyone know just how on earth this is done?
I know all the facts about ITIL (or at least the important ones and have a source for the others easy to hand) but I just can't see how these can be properly applied to writing a report.

Searching the web of course gets nothing but stuff about ITIL exams and trying to sell you stuff....Could anyone who is actually experienced in these matters direct me to a howto on this aspect of ITIL or perhaps an example of what such a report would look like?
kaze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
How does it belong in this section?
I was expecting it to be moved into some sort of new guy section that I missed but this one doesn't look to fit at all...
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a report required for University exam or for work??
Either way seems like so real life experience is going to be needed. ITIL just isn't about learning the book and writing about it - thats academia.

If you need a report for work I could do it but we would have to discuss the fees Smile
kaze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a report I have to do on some real world IT (the university's system) but for university, not for practical purposes.
I've no idea how on earth the stuff from the book and what the exam was on applies to this though, they've not even provided an example of a real report.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that they have not implemented V3 as it is so new, so I would presume that they are looking for a gap analysis of their current processes or lack of, against what V3 says, and a description of what would have to be done.
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good way to approach such an assignment is to look at:

1) Where are they now (what best practices do they currently have in place)?

2) What processes do they not have implemented that ITIL says they should?

3) What is a road map to implement the unimplemented ITIL processes?

If you can't answer question one, then you can't really be asked to answer question two. If you can't answer questions one and two, then don't attempt to answer the third question.

If you need to further breakdown the answer to the questions, ask yourself about each question:

1) What personnel issues will need to be addressed (role assignments, authority of people, job descriptions, etc) in answering the question?

2) What technology and tools will be affected (ticketing, inventory, knowledge base, etc)?

3) What processes need to be addressed (flow of information, hand-off of responsibilities, notifications, consultations, etc)?

By breaking it down into the basic Deming questions centered around People, Technology, and Process you can attack this assignment with some structure.

Don
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are assessments on itsmf websies that can be sued to get a picture as to where they are. You have the knowlsdge to understand the language used in the assesment so you should be able to do that at least.
Bordewijk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to start such an assignment with answering the following question:
- Where do they want to be?
The correct to this question is not: "at x-level of ITIL maturity". Keep in mind that ITIL can be a tool to help organisations improve the quality of IT Service Management. In other words find out what quality means for the IT Service Provider and what its customer(s) thinks about that. Interesting enough, ITIL Service Strategy is good guidance for this excercise. It is quite a lot, but the short version in the Introduction to the ITIL Service Lifecycle is useful in comprehending.

Good luck!

Maarten Bordewijk
kaze

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm OK thanks, this still seems to be quite a impossible task- the current organisation of the company isn't a total disaster, its all quite well done.
I couldn't find any of these other assessments either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: