Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RMonds
New Today: 66
New Yesterday: 88
Overall: 139967

People Online:
Visitors: 60
Members: 3
Total: 63 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - How to handle Server Reboots?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to handle Server Reboots?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyW
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: How to handle Server Reboots? Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a question regarding Server Reboots.

Which ITIL process handles server Reboots? I was under the impression to raise either a standard or an emergency RfC for all server reboots in order to assess the possible impact this reboot might has have on other systems and to have a documented evident.

But now I was thinking of handling this within Incident Management.
What is best practice?
dboylan
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Server reboots should be handled through the Change Management process. When the RFC has had approval from the business, then the outage time is considered a Maintenance Window. Outages that occur during Maintenance Windows are not considered Incidents and do not count against Availability.
AndyW
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok but. We have a very complex CHG process in place. Only the process for Standard or Emergency changes is less complex and pretty straight forward. Thats why I have forced people to raise emergency tickets for reboots as of now.
Unfortunately we are in the situation that many reboots will be done outside a Maintenance Window for serveral reasons for example a proccess crashed on the application server and so on ...
Question is if this can not be covered via the INC process. For example people raise a ticket for the reboot (documented evidence) and figure out the possible impact offline. Then they simply follow so called "operational procedure" eg. reboot server and wait Smile
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason server roboots are considered to be under change control is in relation to your last comment "Then they simply follow so called "operational procedure" eg. reboot server and wait "

Who has looked at the possible knock on effects of the reboot?
Who has signed off on the reboot from a server owner point of view
Who has told the service about this etc, etc. Incident is concerned with getting users back ASAP. However the conflict with reboots is that while it may get some users back quickly it may also affect others (loss of service) during the reboot. Change is a form of control ti mininise the risk and impact of changes.

My advise is to to keep these under emergency change control but define a way of getting them approved quickly and executed quickly under the conditions of the emergency change process.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only addendum to this regarding change mgmt, incident mgmt and reboots

If the reboot is part of an incident resolution process to restore service, then the incident should be used

if the reboot is going to happen at a specific date/time for a reason, then change mgmt should control it

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
AndyW
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok lets assume the following:

out of the blue an application gets a problem and a reboot would be necessary. Users call the Service Desk and they can not fix the issue within the INC process. They do the routing to the 2nd level resolver group. They analyse the issue and figure out that a reboot would be necessary.

Do they then raise an emergency for this? (please also keep in mind this would increase our statistic of the number of emergency changes drastically)

or do they simply update the incident ticket?
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

"please also keep in mind this would increase our statistic of the number of emergency changes drastically" - so what? If it increases or decrease the number is not the point. The numbers are to tell us something. If it increases your emergency changes the story it is pointing to is that you currently have an unstable environment which in turn should tell you to investigate why, lack of upgrades, monitoring, pro active measures etc?

I am of the mindset to require an Emergency Change to ensure the correct controls are in place and followed. This can have a retrospective change logged to ensure admin does not bog us down. Also minimal approvers is required but someone in the business approves the reboot. The reason is that other users may be affected by the server being rebooted and additional calls may be logged to the service desk. Just having L2 reboot the server will not address either of these.

I understand that the other view is to use incident records and process. I don't case as long as the following takes place
1) Business approves the reboot - so they are aware of any impact
2) Service Desk is made aware as they could get increased calls
3) Reboots are trended to see if a problem can be identofied
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like mark says,

while I would prefer if the incident was the control, there needs to be a control / audit trail of the problem

That being said, if the service is NOT impacted by the incident, a reboot is uncalled for.

But even if the service was impacted so bad that a system reboot is needed, the resolution team needs to do due diligence and make sure the noc etc are aware of the plan to reboot the system

but to deny a emergency change because the change the stats mean you are focusing on the stats rather than the actually work

pragmatism is needed as well as reality check

things go wrong. some times a lot. track it count it. explain it. but dont try to fret over the fact that numbers go up and down.. they will

AndyW
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
is there something "official" I can find the answer to that question in the ITIL books? How does the ITIL framework address this issue?

What about the Problem that the Change Manager is not available 24 by 7.
Say a reboot is necessary. An emergency change will be created and the Change Manager is not available?
Of course emergency changes can be raised afterwards but only for documentation purposes. But this does not serve the objective. Since then no impact assessment will be done.

Cheers,
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyW

There is nothing official about whether reboots should fall under change management or not...

It just depends.

A reboot or restart of 1 server that provides service interrupts that services. Therefore, because of the interruptions.. a change request - if that is what the company wants to do - should be used to track arequest out of the blue to reboot the server.

If the reboot is part of the incident resolution.... Web site hung... reboot/restart the d**n windows server, then there is no real need to double ticket the work

if the networks or systems want to reboot a server / router on wednesday for 1 to # weeks, then the best way to let people know about it is to push it through chaneg control

As a reboot merely onoffs the machine, there is no change in configuration for the machine just the powered state.. therefore under strict itil - changes for configuration work on all CIs - it dont really applly
but you need to track these some where

asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would place it on incident management, but my company has decided to put it on service request management.
We had some reasons not to put it on CM:
- As John said, it was merely on-off switch, no change to CIs
- We could put them as emergency RFCs, but that would contradict with the spirit of CM, which is "every change should be well planned". Imagine if there are so many emergencies, it would affect the CM's performance.

As to Mark's thought, of course emergency change is required but let's say in one period the number of emergency changes exceeds the number of normal changes, that would give a bad impression about the CM team.
AndyW
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Asrilrm,
thanks for sharing your ideas.

Some remarks from my side:
your concerns regarding the high number of emergency RfCs: Yes this is a valid point I also had thought about this. But I think the disadvantages are acceptable especially if you can highlight them in your reporting e.g. Emergency Changes due to Reboots.

I came to the decision to put the reboots under change control rather than under the control of INC.
INC would only create a ticket and reboots the server without thinking about the impact this has on other applications. Since we had a lot of troubles due to the reboots I clearly see this under CHG control.

Cheers,
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:

There is nothing official about whether reboots should fall under change management or not...

As a reboot merely onoffs the machine, there is no change in configuration for the machine just the powered state.. therefore under strict itil - changes for configuration work on all CIs - it dont really applly
but you need to track these some where

Sorry John - I just cannot let this pass

In strict ITIL terms

The service itself should be a CI

In it's pre reboot position the server is either down or frozen denying the service it provides to the user. The CI is not available.

Rebooting the server restores the service to the user, thereby changing the state of a CI. This requires a Change.

I do allow a Standard Change for this, recognising that we know the risks, and that they are well documented.

Ed
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

Then we will have to disagree.

A reboot to a server in itself or a restart to a service like a web service on a server in not a configuration change

How can the configuration attributes be changed. It is either On or Off.

I agree that if the server is part of an identified service, then that's a nother kettle of fish

Run the change process for the impact (lack thereof) of the power cycle

NOTE: I know unix servers that reboot w/in 2-3 minutes while microsoft servers can takes 10s of minutes

The unix server rebooted so fast that the minimum threshold for a NMS event was 5 minutes and we never caught it but through log files

THAT being said....

If some one wants the server to be rebooted / restarted; then there to be a trail/control/management ofthat request - and chaneg is the most appropriate

Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

ref ""As to Mark's thought, of course emergency change is required but let's say in one period the number of emergency changes exceeds the number of normal changes, that would give a bad impression about the CM team.

The metrics are not there to make the team look good. They are there to report the reality - from which you can identify issues and remedial actions.

As to whether or not a CI changes is one consideration - bear in mind the other - the potential for impact to the business / service. Will Incident or Change control this better?

We can get to literal sometimes bit the bottom line is that whatever you choose to do, do it to ensure minimun disruption in a controlled manner that has been approved by the business and has been communicated to all in advance - or as the reboot is happening and make sure the Service Desk are informed throughout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: