Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: waynegretzky11
New Today: 3
New Yesterday: 67
Overall: 148302

People Online:
Visitors: 60
Members: 1
Total: 61 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - URGENT :::: Start with Documented Process
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

URGENT :::: Start with Documented Process

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ireen_sl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: URGENT :::: Start with Documented Process Reply with quote

Our Audit team has reported and expecting our service team to start documenting all processes - incident management, problem management, change management, configuration management, release management, availability management, service level management, etc.

They are expecting a time frame and want me with team to start work on it very soon.

As long I understood, implementing all these processes is a matter of long time and to be successful on it also requires much study, research, experiences.

But primarily, what should be my response (what could be the minimum time frame ?? ) considering just to construct a ground level structure for all those processes ?
International Turnkey Systems
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ireen_sl,

You're asking a question that none of us can answer specifically, it's like asking 'how long is a piece of string?'. There are lots of factors that will influence your time frame and they will be specific to your organisation, e.g. buy-in from seniot managers, current production workload, resources available for this work etc. etc.

What I will say is that you mentioned both documenting processes and implementing processes, and the latter is a considerably bigger effort than the former. Documenting could be done in a days or weeks, depending on how much time you have to put into this and whether this includes a redesign, or just the 'as is' processes.

Given the fact that it comes across like you don't already have any formalised processes then ask for as much time as you can. You need to buy time by the sounds of it.

Good luck,

UJ
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ireen,

As UJ pointed out, documenting and implementing processes are 2 different things (time/effort and result-wise). It is my experience that auditors basicly do 2 things:

1. Check if there is 'a' written proof of processes as they ought to function (they check by investigaging documentation), and

2. Check if these descriptions match with reality (by interviewing people, asking for proof produced from service and system mgt tooling etc.).

The thing auditors sometimes will alow (depending on the audit-framework), is allowing you/your organisation to set the level of detail in your process documentation and therefor also in your 'proces reality'. This means that if you create a very detailled proces description on paper, you give auditors more opportunity to ask for proof. If you have less detail in your documentation and you can argue (with proof) that this level of detail is sufficient for your organisation, auditors will sometimes allow more freedom.

Maybe you can use this to determine priorities within the amount of time that you receive. I am not sure whether the above point of view is biased by my geographical location. You might want to check with a local consultant if he agrees with my point of view.
ireen_sl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for such prompt responses.

I would like to know, would this foundation level knowledge is enough for start documenting the processes ?

Where do I found any sample for real time process documentation ?
International Turnkey Systems
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont need ITIL to write the documentation for the existing processes

You merely need skills as listed

with word processing programs such as Microsoft Word
flowchart skills with PowerPoint or Visio

Does your company have any standards document templates for style / outline

Write down what your IT departments does for incidents management

as to how detailed it should be,
[free advice]
write it as a narrative to start

for example
a customer's user calls into the service desk using the local phone number, internal dialing . the service desk/call centre/nco etc .....

the issue is entered into the tool - rememdy/clarify etc-

once this is done for a process

then flow chart it out

then re-write the narrative into processes and procedures

and there are no real templates for this because every company is different

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Related Topics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: