Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CGarrard
New Today: 53
New Yesterday: 79
Overall: 144688

People Online:
Visitors: 54
Members: 2
Total: 56 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Change Management within Change Management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change Management within Change Management

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lj_180
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Change Management within Change Management Reply with quote

Hi,

Due to the usual management paranoia, I have been asked to build a Change Management process for a single system to use as a pilot before rolling out CM across the organisation. Now, I have no real problem in doing this, apart from I don't want to end up having to create a multitude of CM processes for all our different applications.

This particular program is only a document management system, and it is the actual change of data that they want Change Managed. Therefore, it won't involve CAB's or numerous other essential elements to CM.

As ITIL is a very cyclic approach to business processes, and suggests starting small and continuously improving, I was wondering if anyone here has any experience of developing a CM process for one part of the business, then has had to adapt that into the bigger picture?

Hope that makes sense.....

Thanks
Davey
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lj_180,

ITIL is a framework where you take as much or as little as you like, depending on what you're trying to achieve.

So if I were in your shoes, I'd get the generic process and strip it down to acceptable bones to fit the requirements. Undertake a gradual cultural adoption.

The other approach is to hard-sell proper implementation, but I don't know how much energy you have to put into this. You need buy-in from someone with discernable authority so that the rest of the department understands how important it is.

Cheers,

Oli
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be to start reporting as soon as possible. For this, it is not necessary to have all your decision making on changes for this document system in place. Start with simple things, such as:
* # of registered requests for changing data
* # of open requests
* # of closed requests
* # of open requests per team (if applicable)

By reporting this per week, and posting it hardcopy on 3-4 locations (service desk, backoffice, managers office), you will:
* Excite some people
* Upset others
* But at least stir up the discussion about what has to be done to improve these KPI's

After a while, you will find that people get used to the idea of reporting. When this is the case, you can add some kind of further formal agreement on the requests, on which you can report as well.

When you have a more or less decent process going on, you spend about a day with 1 or 2 people involved (depending on the size of your operation maybe a few more) to document the process, fitting it on the actual performance of the process instead of making it a waste of paper.
lj_180
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your ideas. I will definitely start distributing reports as soon as possible. I am still concerned that the "mini" change management process that I am going to build around this application will not define the requirements for CM as a whole, but I suppose it gives the opportunity to garner some more buy in.

Thanks again,
Davey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: