Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MCato
New Today: 22
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 146235

People Online:
Visitors: 61
Members: 1
Total: 62 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Policy writing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Policy writing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lj_180
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Policy writing Reply with quote

Hey all,

I hope this is the right forum for this, but can anyone recommend a good book\resource for improving\learning policy writing?

Thanks in advance,
Davey
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Davey,

I think a good grasp of the English language (or whethever your primary language is), being able to clearly & simply express yourself, and way of thinking that orders things in a logical way is probably all you need for good policy writing.

If it works for you and your org, it doesn't matter if it looks nothing like anyone else's or a 'standard'. Smile
ManicMiner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinnera's final line is worth picking up on.

You should agree with your organisation what is in the scope of policies, procedures etc.

So far all the books I've seen on the subject have been over wordy and more about producing a lot of pages then a succinct policy.
lj_180
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I think it was more of a resource for where to start with writing policies in general I was after. I understand what you are both saying, but - and I am guessing here - I would have thought there are general "templates" for what a policy should look like? My organisation is quite immature when it comes to policies and procedures, so examples are hard to come by and and a little "shoddy" to say the least.

Davey
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you are saying is that there is no corporate standards for documents - no policy on policies

do a yahoo search on user acceptance policy or access policys look to universities

i found they usually post their internet use policy on line

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
rpmason
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Policy writing Reply with quote

lj_180 wrote:
I hope this is the right forum for this, but can anyone recommend a good book\resource for improving\learning policy writing?

Davey, I recommend Stephen Page's books at www dot companymanuals dot com.

Although he concentrates on administrative policies, you can extrapolate it to your policy, process and procedure needs. He has a lot of good advice and a template -- great for those not sure how to organize the information. Although I've been a tech writer for 25 years, I bought them because I'm in my first foray into policy and process writing -- the topic: ITSM, of course.)

He sent the documents I purchased as pdfs over email and you can back them up and print them.

I hunted around his site and found a page where I got a better discount than the front page advertises something like all 4 books for the price of 2 and a smidge more. Hope this helps.
lj_180
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the recommendation, rpmason. Much appreciated.

Also, John, thank you for yours too. I have had a look using your suggestions and have found some good examples.

Davey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: