Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: V19A
New Today: 9
New Yesterday: 50
Overall: 146272

People Online:
Visitors: 56
Members: 1
Total: 57 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Configuration Management Roles
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Configuration Management Roles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Configuration Management Roles Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out how to assign the roles of the Configuration Manager and Configuration Librarian. We are a global IT organization with multiple groups (database, network, etc.) Has anyone assigned roles to this type of IT organization and can provide some guidance? I think 1 person for the CM Manager is to much?
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

"I think 1 person for the CM Manager is to much?" - Can you assign a half a person? - just joking.

it depends on how much work this will generate. For a global organisation you may need a full time Config Manager but can also get away with Config librarians that are not dedicated to the role - e.g. local asset managers may suit this role as well as kepping asset management as their primary role.

How mature is Config Management? If not mature a full time person may be needed to get it up and running smoothly. Has it been audited recently - what is the scope of work to be done for Confog Management now and going forward etc.
JasonC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My role started as the Configuration Manager. I am the only one ITIL Practitioner level certified in our global organization. But my role in the organization is to develop and publish the ITIL support and services processes and procedures (Incident, Problem, Config, Change, and Release). We are still in the development of the process for Config, we have no Change process yet (next). We also have to USE and LEARN the process first, so Config will have to run at a manual pace for at least months before tools (automation) is brought in. That's why I believe I am having trouble assigning these roles. There is no one dedicate person to utilize.
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I see. What I try to do in this case is to list the processes that you are looking to put in place.

Identify the roles within the processes that are needed to get going to to keep going (Set up and operational roles).

Also identify a process owner and a manager for each processes. These can be the same person for all processes but it is best to try and get a few different owners from the beginning . One owner for all processes will be swamped.

To break this down further for you crosses over in to consultany - while I can help - further help comes with a charge. But the bove approach lets you identify , what you need and map it against who you have and identify who you need (resources) going forward. This helps management understand the need for resources = budget.

Bear in mind you may identify one role as config librarian but you may also need 5 people to fill the role (One for each region) - be sure to look at these specifics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: