Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: GHoman
New Today: 48
New Yesterday: 87
Overall: 139314

People Online:
Visitors: 64
Members: 1
Total: 65 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Rescheduling Planned Changes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rescheduling Planned Changes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Rescheduling Planned Changes Reply with quote

My team is facing a problem and I wondered how other people do or have dealt with the concept & practise.

We used to get a lot of people cancelling Changes that couldn't go ahead and just raising new ones instead for a day or two later. We pushed back on this and encouraged people to call us so we could reschedule them within our Service Management tool.

Due to the limitations of this tool, that's a manual process but better (we thought) than assessing what seems like a new Change all over again.

We're now in a situation where we now get 20-30% of Changes being rescheduled in a month (ie we implement about 2000, and up to 500 have their dates or times changed in that same month).
NB - it's not necessarily 500 of the same 2000 that are reschedueld, but 500 Changes from across the FSC.

We have all the reporting and data behind this, inc volumes and reasons, and in principle I still believe this is a pragmatic, supportive approach to take for the organisation.

However, I wondered what other organisations do to address the culture of needing to shift the planned dates of Changes around?
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skinnera,

Does all that reporting allow you to express the extra effort in # of hours and therefor in money spent? How much would this be? Interesting enough for management to act upon? In that case I'd start reporting this right away to management together with the % of rescheduled changes.

Cheers,

Michiel
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 out of 2000 across the FSC, in the same month??
Gee, that's fantastic!
Are people playing around with you?
I agree with Michiel, you need Management interference

Cheers
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skinnera,

I was just going to say the same as Michiel. Sounds like a case for an improvement project if there are significant costs involved.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
add a time dealy - if they reschedule the change it will need to x days before it can be reassessed etc (for impacts and conflicts) - push back with a little pain. You need to take away the attitiude that the change dates can be rescheduled at a moments notice.

In the past I have said that if the change is to be rescheduled it needs to be reviewed by the CAB or Change Manager (depending on the type of chnage) and we had these reviews scheduled weekly. Also it had to be resubmitted 3 days before the review so we could asses it for conflicts etc. This helped - though it does need senior management backing.

Good luck.
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Everyone good? I've been a bit busy in the last month so not really got involved recently.

Just as to provide a comparable story, I've discovered a similar but different problem in on my teams here, but I think the answer is still the same: better planning and demand management required.

It seems the team in question reschedule changes a lot, but at the same time they don't like the fact it requires re-approval. So what they do is draft the form but don't submit it til the last possible moment. Genius.

UJ

(Beige badge)
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not reschedule their pay - or, at least, their holidays?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I might start putting their bonuses through change and get everyone to approve...

(Beige badge)
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea Laughing
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

In our company we had a similar problem to skinnera, but thankfully nothing like as bad.

I insisted that if the Change was moved to a date less than a week from the original date, then I would accept a simple reschedule, otherwise I wanted a complete new RFC with all the authorisations of the original (my version of the pain siggested by Mark). The logic here was that the people signing off had signed for a specific date and time and moving it could cause unforseen problems

As we have a paper system this was greeted with howls of horror. From the point of view of reporting we showed both original and rescheduled as separate instances.

We still get the occasional reschedule, but it is occasional.

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: