Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MEnos
New Today: 2
New Yesterday: 50
Overall: 146265

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 3
Total: 61 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Categories
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Categories

View previous topic :: View next topic  
malibu999

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Service Categories Reply with quote

We're an IT service provider and are updating our systems. I am struggling with how to set up our Catalog and Categories (We are not using Catalog yet).

I currently have categories (hardware, software, IMAC, Network) and subcategories (eg Software > MS Office > Word or Hardware > Printer > not printing etc).

We also have self service for our managed clients as well as for internal customers.

I am not convinced that this is the most effective structure. Are there any other service providers who are willing to share information?

Thanks!
Doober
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Malibu,

I remember when our tool vendor came in with their ITIL gurus. I think we spent close to a week on this categorization / classification stuff. Know how many reports have been run on off that data element in the past year? ZIP.

Whatever choice you make, always view it through the following two filters?
1) Does this reflect calls we actually take?
2) What questions do I want this data to answer for me later?
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

no what you have is not enough. You need to identify IT systems and Business services and build from there - both of these will have different categories - the ones you mentioned are generally for IT Systems.
anitiler

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you are speaking of incident classification
I thought I'd like to share::
http://www.itilcommunity.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=499&highlight=

a very good thread regarding classification/categorization:

but some additional notes recapped or stressed here:
1) the technician logging the call may not know if its a "software" or "hardware" problem even through initial investigation and diagnosis. so don't get too granular or specific there.
2) tools have a variety of fields to support classification of incidents, and not just the standard 3-4 tier'd category codes they come with. Generally you have service type, service, relational items that can aid in classification as well. Determine what fields can/should be used for what purposes.

I suggest reading the information in the link above.
Doober
Itiler

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anitiler wrote:

1) the technician logging the call may not know if its a "software" or "hardware" problem even through initial investigation and diagnosis. so don't get too granular or specific there.

Thats why I usually rig the tool to make classification mandatory to close the ticket, rather than on creation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: