Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: jhvhyhuw79
New Today: 60
New Yesterday: 175
Overall: 130799

People Online:
Visitors: 66
Members: 0
Total: 66

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Selling Change to the shop floor
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selling Change to the shop floor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lj_180
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Selling Change to the shop floor Reply with quote

Hi,

I am currently designing a Change Management process. I have Senior Management on board and am now in the process of arranging a workshop with the operational guys to help define what makes a pre approved change within our organisation. I am doing this for two reasons: -

1) getting them involved from the earliest point
2) building awareness of the fact we are not trying to increase paperwork and red tape

The Ops guys in my company have quite a lot of power (they have been technically silo'd for a long time and keep a lot of knowledge in their heads) and can be quite stubborn and, even with SM buy in, are definitely the people who need to be persuaded that Change Management is the way to go.

I am wondering what experiences others have had around this? Have you used any particular metrics to persuade them? I can provide examples of when things have gone wrong where ChM could have helped, but they all seem to show the teams in a negative light and I don't want them on the back foot straight away.

Anyway, any help\advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Davey
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I completely understand your concern, especially because I've been in your situation. Maybe you can take how I made it as an insight.

Well, let's just say I have finished the first draft of the Change Management handbook, the next step is how it's going to work?
I came to the Sr Manager and suggested to run a simulation Change Management process, complete with the simulation CAB Meeting.
I asked the Sr. Manager to appoint 4 key persons from 4 areas to act as the Change Coordinators. The 4 key persons were the most respectful ones in their area. Then I persuaded them, taught them how to fill the RFC, how to do impact analysis, and so on.
Along with that, I composed the CAB members to include the 4 key persons, plus one from Finance, and several operations staff.

I took several change plans to go through the simulation.
We have run 8 simulation CAB Meetings, it helped open the Ops guys about the benefit of having the Change Management Process. In one case, one of the Change Coordinator was planning to install a backup Core Switch, that would bring the service down for two hours. He thought that he has covered everything, but in the CAB Meeting, he got a fact that he forgot something, where one of the applications installed cannot run a plug and play change, and needs to reboot. The reboot process will take an hour to complete. The Change Coordinator then realised that insights from many people are not bad at all.

From that point, the Ops people have gain confidence that the CM process is there to help them, despite the fact that they hate paperworks so much

It's a long story, but I hope it could help

Cheers,
Asril
lj_180
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Asril,

Thanks for your explanation. I understand where you are coming from. I am not 100% it would work here, but it is something I will definitely keep in mind.

Thanks again,
Davey
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Selling Change to the shop floor Reply with quote

lj_180 wrote:
The Ops guys in my company have quite a lot of power (they have been technically silo'd for a long time and keep a lot of knowledge in their heads) and can be quite stubborn and, even with SM buy in, are definitely the people who need to be persuaded that Change Management is the way to go.

I am wondering what experiences others have had around this? Have you used any particular metrics to persuade them? I can provide examples of when things have gone wrong where ChM could have helped, but they all seem to show the teams in a negative light and I don't want them on the back foot straight away.

Anyway, any help\advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Davey

Hi Davey

First off get your Ops guys to get the info out of their heads and into standardised procedures ASAP.

When trying to convince my Ops team that Change Management was a worthwhile process, I looked at the benefits that would be seen by them. I didn't use metrics, because at that stage they were few and far between. So I concentrated on the plus side, whilst completely ignoring the down side of learning a new process until later in the conversation.

Get them to understand that this process can save them time and effort. It means that servers and processes work when they are supposed to. It means that the high and mighty boss is not sitting on their shoulder asking why an app failed when everyone knew it was company critical. It means that stress is diminished etc. etc. etc.

Ed
lj_180
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed.

A big challenge that I face is that the Ops guys seem to actually like it when things break because they then get some kind of hero status for fixing it (even when it is usually one of their unmentioned changes that has caused the issue in the first place!!!).

Well, guess I will have to persevere......just wish our SM were stronger.....

Davey
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Davey

One of the other things that I did was to increase the pain level of actioning an unauthorised Change. This was via the policy document which said that actioning an unauthorised Change may be considered a disciplinary offence. After two people were summoned to their Manager's office with HR in attendance, and they received a warning letter, things changed very rapidly. Sometimes, sadly, you have to use the stick instead of the carrot. With your SM buy in this should not be too difficult to set up.

Ed
lj_180
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I am just currently writing the policy now, and am looking at recourse. I don't know how much you had to go into it with HR before getting your policy recourse approved but I work for a law firm so everything has to be examined and authorised about 20 times first......
lj_180
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just had a meeting with the team leaders of the operations team to brainstorm ideas for Pre-Approved changes. I got them to note down what changes their teams carry out and then we placed them in one of Pre-Approved or CAB Approved columns on a whiteboard. Most of the guys co-operated fine apart from one who just noted down "Run the Firm" and "Everything Else". He refused to granularise them any further as he said "I don't want any constraints put on my team". How the hell am I supposed to deal with people like that!?!??!?!?

Sad
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lj_180 wrote:
Most of the guys co-operated fine apart from one who just noted down "Run the Firm" and "Everything Else". He refused to granularise them any further as he said "I don't want any constraints put on my team". How the hell am I supposed to deal with people like that!?!??!?!?
Put the same amounts of constraints on him as on everyone else, and expose him when he breaks them, especially when that leads to service outages or avoidable conflicts in the FSC.

Plus get a thick skin, a bunch of tenacity, put your head down and work through the punches. That's going to be a great fight.

A similar one happened to me and eventually the guy was moved off to other projects as all the other managers got it and took it seriously aprt from him, so I got their support & pressure to bear on him, and their boss' (they all worked to the same guy) as well, and eventually he had to comply or move along. Took a while though...
lj_180
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Got my gum shield and cricket box at the ready! Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: