Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ZIzp
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 65
Overall: 146094

People Online:
Visitors: 49
Members: 2
Total: 51 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Measuring Change Management Performance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Measuring Change Management Performance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Measuring Change Management Performance Reply with quote

I am in the middle of setting a scorecard to measure the performance of Change Management. What are the things that I should be measuring? As the old adage "You can't manage what you don't measure", I am trying to to come up with at least a few critical elements that we should be monitoring. Any thought?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

what have you come up with so far? What have you got from the literature and training courses?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex78,

Remember, Change Management is a process not a function or a unit.
I don't know how to set scorecards for a process Smile

In many literatures, the performance items are breakdown of the CSFs into the KPIs. Then you would set the quality target by applying metrics.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Cheers,
Asril
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asrilrm wrote:
Remember, Change Management is a process not a function or a unit.
I don't know how to set scorecards for a process Smile
Huh...??? You have to be able to measure a process, otherwsie how do you know it's working?!

Aside from the standard ITIL measures suggested in the accompanying literature, here's some of the many things I measure for my org;

CCRs closed as Succesful
High Risk & High Impact CCRs closed as Succesful
CCRs raised as Planned (vs Unplanned)
CCRs implemented between CCR-generated P1 Incidents
'Time To Handle' CCR from creation date

etc

Note that of the ones above, only the last one is measuring my team - all the others are measuiring the success of the process itself.
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinnera,

I didn't say I'm not able to measure a process, but I don't know how to set scorecards for a process.
You cut my last sentence, that's not fair

Cheers
cjmt
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other posters, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the goal of this forum is to obtain feedback, help and experience from others on specific difficulties that one might be dealing with at some moment of our work or study of ITIL, that is, "share" the knowledge about this interesting and difficult subject. But, ultimately, the topic starter should be the one who does the thinking... I think that posting questions here without having given any previous thought to it, trying to get direct answers to your problem will not grant you much results here... Perhaps you should get support from a consultant (I'm not one, but You'll find lots of them here).
Cheers.
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjmt,

I agree with your point.
But I myself would like to know, as I am still in search of how to fit a process team in an organisation structure.
If I'm not mistaken, the scorecards Alex mentioned is related with balance scorecard.

Skinnera mentioned "his team". I'm not certain: is his team a unit, or just a team in the organisation structure.

In the context of Balance Scorecard, my question is simple.
If the Change Management Process and team is successful, who is going to get the bonus?
On the other hand if it's not, who's going to take the burden?

I am still a stupid amateur. Forgive me if my question sounds dumb.
But at least I have the willing to learn

Asril
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

yiu should monitor the process and report on it. What you report can be varied but if you use ITIL as a guidance remember this.

ITIL advises you to do certain things e.g. test changes and activities e.g. hold CAB meetings. These are also considered vital for an effective and efficient Change Management system - cross check with ISO 20000 if you need to .

Therefore if you have put these 2 things in place and due to their importance you should then measure their peformance to assertain how effectivley they are being used.

Now you have to thing about what to use to get measurements that you can report and analyse.

i.e. change closure code of "Failed due to lack of testing" could be put into the CM system and used to report on changes implelented with less than adequate testing with the effect also being recorded (failed chnage)

The number of CAB meetings that took place versus the number scheduled / expected could be another.

This should open up your thinking. it is far to easy for me to dump a list of general measurements here. I think you should be able to get an understanding of what is important and what you should be reporting on. its not really that hard to get going for CM.
cjmt
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isril
Please take into account that I was referring to Alex's initial post which to me sounds too vague and without substance to allow any discussion. If Alex is able to develop some of his points perhaps we can all benefit from his work, me included.
Even though I've been in IT for about 15 years, I too still learning and ITIL in particular is one heck of an interesting subject for which I am still in early stage. Hopefully, this forum is a godsend for all of us who wish to learn and share.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for CAB Meetings

Who should be represented versus who is there

For example

You want the senior Microsoft O/S, UNIX OS, NEtwork tech or lead or their mgr,

instead the mgr send the newbie to the meeting who is a)clueless, b) no approval rights etc

I used a tattle chart for measuring the value of the CAB

3 pts for managers
2 pts for senior teach/lead
1 pts for area rep
0 pts for non attendance (give notice)
and -# pts for changes that require their imputs

so after a CAB, I would score the meeting

there are 6 people at the CAB = 12 - 18 should be full attendance by the right people

and i would publish the attendees, attendance schedule and the score to the manager

it lasted about 5 weeks (CAB met 2 a week) before I started to get 18s every time

When I reported to the Dir the score, i had briefed him on the score range and when I had a less than 10s for 2 weeks in a row

he said... which manager did not attend and why ?

then at his mgrs meeting he would say .. if you dont attend the CAB or your senior regularly, no bonus....

the attendance shot up to 100 %

That is a good performance measure/scorecard

the best score card is of course

down by 1, bases loaded, bottom of the ninth - 2 outs, 2 strikes and no balls

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks so much guys for all your replies.
I really appreciate them.

And John, though I don't know much about baseball, you made it mate!
Thanks Very Happy

Regards,
Asril
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asrilrm wrote:
Skinnera mentioned "his team". I'm not certain: is his team a unit, or just a team in the organisation structure.
My team is the Change Management team - apologies for not being clearer.
Alex78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I appreciate the response. The reason I am not giving any inputs up to now is because I want to hear from the forummers before clouding everyone with my own judgement. As for myself, I measure the following.

(1) Number of situations/incidents caused by change.
(2) Percentage of emergency changes over total changes.
(3) Number of successful changes (not very good in my opinion because it depends how engineers captures what is successful)
(4) Unauthorized changes
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just want to inform you that there is a good sample of ITSM metrics model developed by Randy Steinberg in Excel format. You should take a look.

Cheers,
Asril
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,

As now I've got more understanding about the rules and regulations of this forum, I apologise if it looks like I'm promoting or marketing products.
I must clarify, that when I mentioned Mr. Steinberg's name, it was merely to give credit for his work, that's all.
The same thing for my other posts that got deleted.
I have no intention of selling names, products, anything.

Thanks to Ed who explained the reasons not to put URLs here.

Regards,
Asril
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: