Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: O15A
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 94
Overall: 141438

People Online:
Visitors: 80
Members: 2
Total: 82 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Incident Management and SLAs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incident Management and SLAs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wahmed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Incident Management and SLAs Reply with quote

Hello,

Just a question out there....

From my perspective an IT organization should have SLAs, OLAs, Service Targets, etc. defined and agreed with the customer for Incident Management and Service Desk and overall for that matter. I think that processes are bound for failure if without these targets and agreements. However, management constantly debates that SLAs are not an important factor and the processes will not fail.

Anyone disagrees with me? Thanks much....

--
Waseem

Last edited by wahmed on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I would agree that the are much needed. in reality though they can get left to the wayside as things do operate without these in place or documented but as we know they will be ess efficient and effective etc.
Flute

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if they arent document and agreed - your customer/the business expectation is that your service desk will answer the phone/email , that incidents will be fixed , and that some incidents need to be fixed faster than others !

the Business is using sla's even if "management" thinks they are not important.. I'd suggest a quick look at your management objectives/job description would show the measures that the business thinks are important !

if you havent got these defined you cant measure them so you cant improve them
mredekar
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Documenbted SLA required? Reply with quote

Hi,
If you are an internal IT department (e.g. Cost-center), management would always try to ignore need of agreed SLAs, cause they never imagine the IT as a business enabler and they do not see the contribution IT makes to overall business.

Ask management -

1. What is the business loss (includes $, reputation, customer trust, 'lost to other' customers etc) if a given critical service is not available for 'N' hours.
2. Can business afford to loose that much money and still remain in the compitiion?
3. If not, what is the max time you can afford? That's the Service Level target.
4. Design process/resources/OLA's accordingly. It may attact some funds. This is why management does not want to talk about SLA's etc.

If it is not defined and agreed no one from IT tries /designs process/resources to achieve the same. And one day it is bound to happens and with unexpected size.

Please ask management can they afford .....?

Regards,
erfo02
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Incident Management and SLAs Reply with quote

wahmed wrote:
Hello,

Just a question out there....

From my perspective an IT organization should have SLAs, OLAs, Service Targets, etc. defined and agreed with the customer for Incident Management and Service Desk and overall for that matter. Waseem

I think you should avoid creating SLA on your internal processes but relate it to your services. Handling Incidents is only one way to ensure that your availability according to the SLA is fulfilled. It might be so that this was what you meant but I also see a risk for misunderstanding. Many are still thinking technology and ITIL is far more than that. When you start looking into the e2e mgmnt and Service Impact Analysis this become very obvious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: