Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RollandGr
New Today: 41
New Yesterday: 69
Overall: 148121

People Online:
Visitors: 49
Members: 1
Total: 50 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Problem vs Known Error
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem vs Known Error

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katherine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Problem vs Known Error Reply with quote

I'm getting to grips with Problem Management after being on the Problem Management Practitioner course and I've been given the role of Problem Manager. This is for purely a software support & development environment.

Now the system I have implemented is a Problem Log is created where there is a bug somewhere or something isn't working correctly and its a design issue. When the problem is picked up to be investigated, a Known Error record is created where the underlying cause is reported along with suggested solutions.

90% of the time, the only way to resolve the issue is to release a design change at which point both the Problem and Known Error logs are closed.

I'm thinking that maybe I've got it wrong, that it should be a problem is investigated and once the underlying cause is known it is reported on the Problem Log. The Problem Log is then closed and a Known Error is opened ready to report on the workarounds and potential solutions.

Does this sound more ITIL-like?
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

you are nearly there

"I'm thinking that maybe I've got it wrong, that it should be a problem is investigated and once the underlying cause is known it is reported on the Problem Log. The Problem Log is then closed and a Known Error is opened "

Once a problem is identified a problem record should be opened there and then. Once the cause is known and a workaround identified the problem becomes a known error. I generally keep the same problem record open and use a flag/code field inthe problem record to identify the problem as a known error. I have seperate fields inte the same problem / known error record to keep problem updates recorded and known error information i.e. workarounds etc.

So my problem record also serves as a known error record and is stored in the problem management system. The same problm management system has a view with a filter to show all open problem records that have been flagged as a known error = my KEDB. This keeps everyting in the one place.

The type of problems that you mention reference "bug" which spans another element of problem management i.e. defect / bug management (may not be 100% ITIL but I classify problems for bugs and defects as there is a longer proces that these need to go through to get resolved.

I hope this helps.
Katherine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ha!! I get it!

I'm only concerned with bug fixes so I only need a problem log rather than a problem log AND a known error log as I don't need to worry (at the moment) about workarounds as they are currently sorted out within Incident Management.

Thankyou! Very Happy
Mark-OLoughlin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I hope I don't confuse things - what I was saying that the problem record can also server as a known error record and provide you with a KEDB.

If Incident management is passed a workaround and if the root cause of the problem is known the problem should be pfalgged a as known error also regardless if it is a bug/ defect/ network issue etc.

I do this and also seperate out the bugs using another code field to allow me manage them through the bug / defect process using the same problem records to avoud double entry of the same thing. Most bugs I progress are flagged as known errors and recorded in problem records as we have had to get incident management a quick fix / workaround to get users back working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: