Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MOIU
New Today: 45
New Yesterday: 105
Overall: 143979

People Online:
Visitors: 48
Members: 4
Total: 52 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - How a problem management team show their efficiency?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How a problem management team show their efficiency?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: How a problem management team show their efficiency? Reply with quote

I 'll build up a new problem management team but still no idea how can I show our efficiency to my boss.. also the resource allocation.. Confused

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Wan
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand your question quite clear, but I guess you should seek your Critical Success Factors, the build your Key Performance Indicators, then build metrics out of them.
I suggest you take a look at the itlibrary open guide for a start

Cheers,
Asril
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also depends on what your PM team will be doing - are they looking at underlying causes of the most frequent incidents and calls to the service desk (in which case reductions in these things must be a good start for a KPI), or are they identifying root causes of significant, individual incidents and taking actions to make sure these aren't encountered again, or something else entirely?
wanc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our aim is reduce the incident re-occur, identify the root cause and perm fix.

Moreover I need to perpare the managrment report but I have no idea on it.

Since we're a new team, so we must do somethings that let our GM impress and feel our team is needed..
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wan,

Before going any further, the first things I need to know is how far ITIL is known by your company? Is it just an awareness, or is it well known?
If it's well known, has it reached top-level management commitment?
Sorry to ask but your last post seems like you're selling a new concept to your GM.

Well, first things first.
wanc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi asrilrm,

As you said, my company was not well known of ITIL but want to improve the IT service on IT infra.

Wan
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wan,

I see.
I presume you haven't brought this new concept to your top management.
And you mean to start with your unit. You decided to take Problem Management in, as the first thing to do. Am I right?

If my presumptions are right, then you are doing a bottom-up approach.
Well, my suggestion is to change your approach.
I mean there's nothing wrong with bottom-up, but not merely.
You will face tons of obstructions on your way.

ITIL is not a methodology, it's a guidelines. It doesn't give you orders of what to do, what should be measured, etc, etc.
I could talk alot but I'm afraid I will make you confused.

My other suggestion is for you to study the general aspects of ITIL, doesn't need to be detail, then present to your top management, build their awareness. This one is highly recommended because management commitment is very important.
Be the ITIL champion for your company.
That's for a start.

Asril
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wanc,

Forget ITIL, forget problem management (well, do not forget the latter one totally).

This is about perception. You want your boss to perceive that your team is worth having around. The best way to do this (usually) is to give insight in metrics. (KPI's, CSF's, what ever you want to call them). A few tips:

* Keep it Simple: do not wander off into the marsh of KPI's. Better have one indicator or report that makes sense than a pack of indicators that will not be read. Have you asked your GM what he'd like to get reported? Sure, you can make a suggestion but if you can get into an 'elevator pitch' with him (or simply ask for 30 mins. of his time), maybe you'd ask him.

* Find out if you can report 'through' your customer. For instance: if you report a list of known errors to your customer weekly, and you give the customer the perception that this report (and the work around it) makes sense for business, AND you get the customer to tell this to your GM, you have the best advertising you can get.

* Did I already suggest to keep it simple?

Hope this helps,

Michiel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: