Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JHarmon
New Today: 28
New Yesterday: 92
Overall: 141372

People Online:
Visitors: 66
Members: 6
Total: 72 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL V3 Exam not like the practice test
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL V3 Exam not like the practice test
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccbean

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: ITIL V3 Exam not like the practice test Reply with quote

I took the ITIL v3 exam yesterday, and I have a feeling that I did not pass. The questions were not like any of the practice exams I have taken.
Anyone have any tips for retaking this? I'm a mess over this!! Thanks
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccbean,

did you take the course
did you merely buy/download practice tests
did you merely buy the self study guide book
did you buy the 5 books
how much time did you spend studying

i cant answer any questions w/o some context

but

if you had taken the course, you would have know what materials
if you had merely bought practice tests and study guide and expected to pass... sigh...

the foundation course costs here in the UK 1000 plus exam (roughly) estimate

the managers course is roughly 2000 per week 2 week course

if you dont spend the time, you dont pass

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Realmadhatter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: v3 test Reply with quote

I must confess that I have taken the v3 test several timess and failed by the least 2 questions. Because i am a contractor and have only 30 days to take the test and pass to keep my position, I had to do it on my own. I was given a study guide (for version 20 but have to take the v3 test, so I purchased an ITil official Accredited publisher version 3 book online and have studied it. For 3 weeks straight. I took the test initially and failed it miserably, I since have brought my score up and have no been able to bring it over 60%. I am not asking for answers but realistic help on how and what to concentrate on in this book. The name of the book is passing your itil foundation Exam - Study aid from the Official Publisher of ITil Between the book and the exams I have spent alot of money. This is not about the money, it is about the time I have left to understan itil. I am 1st support Service desk and wanting to retire in the next couple of years. I have over 26 years in Customer Support in a major company. I find myself trying to survive for a couple of more years and do a good job with the time I have left to work I do need some serious help and advice on what to do from here. I have read this book over and over, but the questions are sometimes I think off the wall Also , even if i lose my job because i could not pass the test, i still plan on working on passing it. I won't let this beat me. Anybody out there that can give some advice. I don't want to give up.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, just find the money. Borrow it if you have to.

Do the course. Just pretend you are the only one there. Be a sponge. If there is anything you don't understand, ask. Don't worry about upsetting the other participants. Mummy and Daddy, sorry their employers have probably paid for them to sit there.

The people running the course want you to pass. People passing makes them look good.

Just do it. It will be what yo need to get you over the line, you have done lost of work, doing the course will consolidate the material for you

Good luck!
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealMadhatter

One question.

Do you have the 5 ITIL books as well.

The study aid / guide is just that.

The exam is based not what is in the study aid but what is in the 5 books.

The exam tests your ability to recall bits of the book

DYBeach is also right. If you study on your own, the teacher can be of poor quality and you learn nothing.

if you take a course, their instructor is assessed against the % passing

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Mini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am new to the forum and I totally agree with you. I did the V3 foundation certificate 2 weeks ago and found the two mock papers I took quite easy BUT the real exam was a nightmare and nothing like expected. I know that mock paper questions are only to be seen once, but the real exam was something different and not something I would have ever expected.

I got my results yesterday and I failed by one mark - I am so annoyed that I only failed by 1 mark. Is this meant to be as difficult for this level?

being someone who has two degrees I feel quite ashamed that I was unable to pass a foundation level course. I think this should be marked as intermediate not foundation.

I am now concerned about taking the re-sit - any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Mx
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I always tell my classes when i am teaching - the 2 main reasons people fail are
1. Answering in terms of what is done in their workplace, not as ITIL describes (a few)
2. Not reading the question really carefully (most)

Most people pass this exam, and it is not that hard, but the questions are tricky. You need to take your time and read the question very carefully - people see one word/abbreviation like CMS/SAC/OLA and jump to the answer which is related to that. The question may not have been asking for that.
As for the required reading - you do NOT need all 5 books, that would be way, way over the top! The key element guides, the pocketbooks by ITSM or itsmf, or the Foundations book are all good. The Exam prep book is, bizarrely not so good, as the questions are designed to be tougher than the real exam, to the extent that some have tutors scratching their heads! Also, it covers elements now removed from the syllabus.

The syllabus changes again in May - you may want to wait until then for a resit.
UKIT
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently studying the ITIL V3 foundation via CBT.There are mock questions at the end of the course,would I need to source additional mock questions or do you think the the CBT range of questions is adequate.I believe the questions update each time you launch the module.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends entirely on whose course this is - they may be from the official mocks, or made up by the training company - be wary of the latter!
mkandy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it wasn't just me!

Did a day course for the V2 to V3 foundation bridge. Got two wrong in the mock, and felt pretty confident. Took the real paper that afternoon and was blown away, some of the questions were either not covered in the training, or just too hard, one of them was around naming an activity within a particular step of the CSI Process, we spent about 5 mins going through the CSI process in training!

I passed anyway, so stress over!
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I passed it - just, after getting a great score in V2. I wouldn't recommend the V3 foundation bridge to anyone, but understand it's a cost issue
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sat the Service Transition exam today. I found the real exam much trickier than the practice paper. I've been working towards this for the last 3 months and put lots of work into it, but am now wondering if it was enough.
It really is a question of reading the questions very carefully. Some of the options were so damned close.
I walked into the exam feeling confient that I knew the material and had done enough preparation, but walked out thinking I'd be happy with anything over 27 out of 40.
One whine I have is the way the question papers are organised. You get 2 sets of papers plus the answer sheet. One would assume that all the questions would be in one set and all the options corresponding to the questions would be in the other set, but nooooo. All over the place like a dog's breakfast Rolling Eyes
Apparently they (EXIN) guarantee to have the results back within 5 business days. Which may or may not be a good thing. Sigh.
PMI CAPM (R)

aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dybeach

I wish you good luck.
I also find the real exams are trickier than the practice papers.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The course I did was part of a university course. I did it via distance education, but there was an online tutorial once a week plus the option to interact in Second Life. We had an island that we could post on.

The uni has exam centres around the world, depending on where students are. I thought I'd check my centre the day before the exam and yes there had been a mix-up. Shocked
I was meant to go to a centre in the city (close to work) but ended up being sent to one closer to home.

The centre close to the city was in one the builldings of a horse and dog racing establishment, but I ended up sitting the exam in a church hall. So at the last minute my key strategy was changed from gambling to prayer. Not sure if this was a Good Thing
PMI CAPM (R)

aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DYbeach

Have you got your results yet?

I just did my CSI exam on monday. Next friday my second shot at SO&A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: