Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JVarley
New Today: 10
New Yesterday: 68
Overall: 139768

People Online:
Visitors: 71
Members: 1
Total: 72 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Change Management process & CAB ownership
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change Management process & CAB ownership
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ja3far

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Change Management process & CAB ownership Reply with quote

Hi,

I am currently working with a large telecom operator that has recently undergone a major restructuring exercise. As a result, the Change Management function was lost and the ownership was not determined. In IT they have many big departments, however, there are only two candidated to own this process: IT Ops dept (Responsible for regular operation tasks), and Infrastructure & Architecture dept (Responsible for OS and DB administration, Netwrok and Office Automation implementation, etc.). The debate now is that I&A are the actual implementers who have the capabiltiy to assess the impact and implement the changes on the infrastructure, hence, they should own the CM process. On the other hand, ITOps are the owners of the live environemnt and any changes would directly affect them, hence, they should be the owners.

Can you please help me in determining the best owner for the CM process?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your company your decision but...

you stated it already

Change Management is usually fed through operations

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ja3far,

I agree with John.
Well after all, CM process is a coordinating process, so basically it doesn't matter what is it under. It is a matter of commitment within your company.

However, because the one who deals with day to day operations is the Ops Manager, and most important, he is the one accountable for dealing with everything in production, he must be the one who takes control.
Hence, the CM Process in my perception, should be under Ops Dept.

Cheers,
Asril
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a more partizan stance that it DOES matter where it sits; ok all departments may look different but you cannot put Change Management into a delivery team, be it an architecture team or any other high-brow rabble.

Change Management needs to be impartial and putting it under the control of a delivery team creates a conflict of interest within that team. It's a bit like putting Garfield the Cat in charge of the fridge.

On the org chart the CM function should be direct line into the Ops Manager or overall Service Delivery manager - provided he/she is in charge of all so that no bias is possible.

I have had Ops managers responsible for just certain areas of delivery trying to take CM into their team because "we do most changes". SO?!

You can take our lives, but you'll never take our freedom!! Or something like that...

UJ

(Beige badge)
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I really write that?
Gee, I must've been really drunk, ugh.
Sorry
*hiccup*
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Change Management process & CAB ownership Reply with quote

Ja3far wrote:
I am currently working with a large telecom operator that has recently undergone a major restructuring exercise. As a result, the Change Management function was lost and the ownership was not determined.
Hi Ja3far, can you email or PM me please in respect of your current field of work? Your profile shows no contact details Smile
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S'alright mate, I try and maintain a highly inebriated state and/or cocktail of drugs at all times.

By the way I am in no way Scottish, though I am starting to wonder if I want to wear a kilt a bit more than I expected...

UJ

(Beige badge)
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

ideally, Change Management should be independent of all delivery functions, including Operations Management. I.e. it should report above them. Failing that, it is normally best under Ops Mgmnt control with a dotted line above because Ops are in the best position to understand (and feel) the pain of change gone wrong.

If I&A think that they should manage change because they do lots of changes, then they probably do not understand what Change Management is about; they probably think it starts with fiddling about, then testing, then saying "there you are then; that should work".

Seriously, their perspective is wrong for the process.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
pel
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it sounds like the I&A are better equipped to deal with Release Management. As for risc/impact assessment - they should probably be welcome to attend CAB-meetings when applicable.
joshinplano
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Diarmid.

The Change Management process and its owner should be autonomous from both groups, otherwise the process used to implement Change will be skewed and/or biased towards one group.

Also, your thread title states about CAB ownership? The CAB should not be "owned" by anyone, but rather a cross section of individuals from amongst the Technology organization that influence and guide the Change management policies and processes. They should include I&A, OPS, Management, support teams, etc.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CAB is owned by the Change Manager as he is the CHair and the CM policy should state the scope of the CAB

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with John.
CAB was formed to help the Change Manager making up his mind.
As the name indicates, CAB provides advice, suggestions, insights, etc.
At the end, it is the Change Manager who decides the go/no go
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

I can conceive of a CAB setup where certain managers have power of veto. This is not as harsh as it sounds because you would expect it to correlate with levels of risk or cost and in another regime the Change Manager would come to the same conclusion.

I'm not convinced that a Change Manager needs to be the "go" authority. A well designed CAB would work on consensus.

I don't think that chairing the CAB constitutes owning it. After all the Change Manager is part of the CAB. Also, There is CAB membership from outside IT. and those members are not just there to do as they are told.

It should rarely become a matter of import, but CAB is jointly owned by customer and service management and is controlled in a manner prescribed by change policy and service contracts.

All a bit theoretical, but it is useful to be reminded of the limits of even a Change Manager.

In response to asrilrm, it could equally be said that the Change Manager was formed to ensure the application of CAB decisions.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our CAB process is kind of like the one Diarmid describes.

We/I own the process, the conference call details, the input and output, attendee list, methodology etc, but it is the CAB as a group that approves or rejects CCRs.

Change Management then move the CCR to an Authorised status - as opposed to us actually approving the CCRs ourselves. We're not technically knowledgeable or responsible enough for that.
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

To most points, I agree with you.
In the ITIL book, in the course and in many other articles, it was said that the CAB provides insights to the Change Manager, and the Change Manager is the one who signs the approval of a RFC.
I didn't say that the Change Manager owns the CAB, as I believe that there are no hierarchy in the Change Management Process. All players are of the same level and work hand-in-hand to run the process.

In my company, the CAB has a number of fix members (called the core CAB members). When the Change Manager chairs a CAB Meeting, he will invite people he justifies as the stakeholders of the RFCs being processed. Then everyone who attended the CAB Meeting could be said as the CAB.
Of course there will be hot debate, discussions etc. but the Change Manager must be wise and accomodating to get the best from the Meeting.
At the end, it is the Change Manager that signs the go/no-go PLUS an acknowledgment from one fellow CAB member. These two compliments each other, meaning that only the Change Manager's signature is not sufficient, and the RFC is not regarded as approved.

Boy, I'm thirsty, I think I need a drink a bit

Cheers,
Asril
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: