Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ASDX
New Today: 42
New Yesterday: 42
Overall: 148228

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 1
Total: 51 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - RFC for Add/Remove rows within DB tables
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RFC for Add/Remove rows within DB tables
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinger
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Metallic finish I believe!

I'm thinking of suggestiong to our DC team we brighten the DC now! I'm thinking Black and Gold?
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I like it, it's sooo 'NOW'!!

(Beige badge)
birdman

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great feedback, it's greatly appreciated. However, I still have a few questions. Being the Change Process owner I need to make a compelling reason why something is or is not a Change.
UKViking stated deleting/adding records or data to a DB is Content Mgt and not Change Mgt. The data within the DB is changing so why not controlled through CM? We don't have Content Mgt but could I argue that since the DB records or tracks every action; who did it, what was done, and by who, that is Content Mgt so doesn't need to go through CM?
Would it depend on how your company defines Change? This is really where we have struggled, the definition. Here is basically what we have so tell me where my challenges are: "Any deliberate action that includes the addition, modification, or removal of one or more CIs or any action that may impact the infrastucture, enironment, or IT service". By this definition data modifications would be a Change, correct?
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman,

It would be forever discussing about the definition of change.

I quote the mission statement of the CM process from the ITIL Open Guide:
"Coordinate and control all changes to IT services to minimize adverse impacts of those changes to business operations and the users of IT services."

The above statement contains clear conditions:
- changes to IT services
- impact to business operations
- impact to the users of IT services

I say it would be up to you to determine whether modifying data (adding, deleteing, updating) fits into the above conditions.
Hope this could help

Cheers,
Asril
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put asrilrm.

CM is an operational process to reduce the risk of disruption to services (among other things). So would you really include content (data) changes in that?

Simple analogy: You build a skyscraper. You want to ensure that it's in working condition every day, so you monitor the physical condition, the power supply, the moving parts etc. Would you manage the people moving in or out? I doubt it.

So how does change-managing content benefit your organisation? How much extra work will be involved for you and your team? How does managing this data actually benefit the organisation? What do they want to know about it?

On a general note, really just to give you some broader perspective, it's worth highlighting that you don't need to fit into ITIL, ITIL has to fit into you (your organisation). You'll see this quoted a lot on this forum: ITIL is descriptive not prescriptive.

Think about what you can actually manage within your role, your team and your organisation's ability to cope with such a process.

Cheers,

UJ

(Beige badge)
kinger
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman wrote:
Thanks for the great feedback, it's greatly appreciated. However, I still have a few questions. Being the Change Process owner I need to make a compelling reason why something is or is not a Change.
UKViking stated deleting/adding records or data to a DB is Content Mgt and not Change Mgt. The data within the DB is changing so why not controlled through CM? We don't have Content Mgt but could I argue that since the DB records or tracks every action; who did it, what was done, and by who, that is Content Mgt so doesn't need to go through CM?
Would it depend on how your company defines Change? This is really where we have struggled, the definition. Here is basically what we have so tell me where my challenges are: "Any deliberate action that includes the addition, modification, or removal of one or more CIs or any action that may impact the infrastucture, enironment, or IT service". By this definition data modifications would be a Change, correct?

Birdman,

As with the converstion between myself and Viking above, I have maintained that a company could choose to call this kind of activity a change. That point is up for debate, and as asrilrm has rightly said, we could be here forever.

The simple answer is it's up to you, it's your business and they are your processes, however I would keep things simple. The benefit of paying someone to manage this probably isn't worth the benefit you would get out of it (how often are these type of changes really going to cause an issue?). There has to be an element of commone sense, otherwise as UJ pointed out, you'll end up monitoring staff and having them raise changes each time they enter and leave the building (ironically I have seen this in the past, not my process I assure you!).

In effect, if the DB records any changes to itself, you have an audit trail, therefore there could be an argument that you are considering these pre approved changes.

Sit down with management who it sounds like you need to explain this to, and inform them how ITIL can be defined to a level appropriate for your business, have a chat about whether it is worth it, using some of the suggestions within this thread and come up with a system. If you have discussed it and documented it, you won't be bypassing the change process, you will simply be registering these as pre approved changes.

kinger
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes !!!

He shoots !!

HE scores !!!

Exactly kinger... i wish as a grumpy one say it as well as you did ...

i try

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
kinger
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
Yes !!!

He shoots !!

HE scores !!!

Exactly kinger... i wish as a grumpy one say it as well as you did ...

i try

*thumbs up*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: