Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LMfu
New Today: 69
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 139882

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 0
Total: 59

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Internal Incidents
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internal Incidents

View previous topic :: View next topic  
franko123

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Internal Incidents Reply with quote

Hi All,
Was wondering how others handle incidents that originate from within IT and not from Helpdesk. e.g. A DBA or system administrator finds that a tablespace or a filespace has filled up which has started to give errors. Or a server CPU heated up causing the server to reboot.
It could also come from system monitoring tools like HP Open View.

1. Should tickets be raised by the IT staff in the incident management tool to log such incidents?

2. Should they send it to helpdesk to raise them? I think they should raise them themselves but we are finding resistance on that issue with people complaining that this is creating more work. The problem is that our non helpdesk IT staff is not dedicated to support.

3. Has anybody got information on integrating the system monitoring tool with incident management tool so that tickets are automatically created and sent to relevant people?

Thanks
Franko
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Internal Incidents Reply with quote

franko123 wrote:

2. Should they send it to helpdesk to raise them? I think they should raise them themselves but we are finding resistance on that issue with people complaining that this is creating more work. The problem is that our non helpdesk IT staff is not dedicated to support.

Franko,

As long as you do not solve this problem, you will find that whatever you decide, it will continue to be perceived as a nuisance.

That said, you are in fact talking about event management (check ITIL v3 or MOF operations quadrant). A few remarks that are important:

* Events are observed states of a CI that might lead to an incident (an incident meaning: leading to an unwanted performance of a service)

* I'd advice to have somebody appointed as accountable for event management (proces owner), as you would have a proces owner for incident management. With this, you can adress the issue that there is no dedicated staff yet for monitoring & control.

* Investigate tooling-possibilities, including functionality to link your system management tooling with your service management tooling. With this, you can take away part of the 'extra work' (automated logging of an incident triggered by decision in event management proces.

* Try and define a few quick wins. What's in it for IT staff? Will it save them work on running after escalated incidents through improved monitoring?

Hope this helps,

Michiel Croon
Getronics PinkRoccade
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franko123

Why are you bringing such a basic IT question.

It is not even ITIL

Even before ITIL was written, I worked in a NOC during the 80s managing arpanet and any of the staff there knew the answer w/in 1 day working

The answer to 1 is yes
The answer to 2 is F No. The Service desk aint a secreterial service for lazy or incompetent IT staff
The answer to 3 is yes. But that goes beyond free advice.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
franko123

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry John,
I am a newbie at this so am seeing how others have done it so I don't make the same mistakes.
Appreciate your advice as always Smile

Franko
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franko,

The best arguement to get people to log calls is to tell them that if there's nothing logged then they're not doing any work. And then you give them more work because they have so much time on their hands.

They need to learn that you're actually trying to help them represent how much work they actually do and it's the only way to get more resources, be it people or money, if they already feel beleagred.

Also, note my comments in the CHange Management forum on Birdman's post because I describe how not everything needs an incident first - there's other ways to get people to log work.

Cheers,

UJ

(Beige badge)
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franko,

new to IT. new to ITIL. new to working in a controlled enviornment

it is still the same kind of work. you are documenting things that canbe tracked later.

Unless you work for the psycic friends network because every one knows automatically when things happen so there is no logging

when I worked in a bar, i had to sign in / sign out. log any incidents with the mgmt such as broekn lights etc etc etc

when i worked in a office, i had to track and note things that go wrong in a log book

there is no difference for IT organization.

you have to be able to track what happened when it happened so that you can look back and see

sports teams do this

baseball statistics are great!!!

The reason I made the sarcastic snide post is that bureaucracy is bureacracy. it is everywhere.

and the questions seemed so basic....and i used the classic ass u me ption along with that.

UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viking,

I'm trying to work out if your perennial grumpiness is because you were raised by wolves, or is it just the piles?

UJ

(Beige badge)
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ,

I was raised by wolves with piles

I also did not have my required caffiene and in some other post, i think i left the grumpiness feature on

but you have to admit that the question it self is a very basic one

GRUMPINESS OFF

SARCASM ON

UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, it's all following to place...

Yes it's a basic question, and remember I also got a bit uppity a while back with the mondayitis thing. I do wish people would do a little more research before posting, but then again you don't need to pass a test to post on this forum.

We don't have to respond to the question but we do because we enjoy helping others and, most importantly, looking like a smart arse in front of our peers, and that is exactly the level of superficial fulfillment that keeps me from banging my head on the desk until it bleeds, wishing I was sitting in the sunshine with a beer and a joint... sh1t, did I say that out loud?

Keep growling Viking.

Surprised

(Beige badge)
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank0123

I am a sarcastic pedantic anal grumpy bastard. And those are my good points.

I do however try to alternate between extreme sarcasm & grumpiness and extreme politeness.

Your first post caught one end.

That said.. If you dont know ... ask....

Remember (Does not mean i apply this to you)

being ignorant only means you dont know something
Being stupid is knowing you dont know something and not interested in trying to find out what you dont know

I will answer most posts / all posts i see.. sometimes with more sarcasm than i should...

Life should not be boring... neither should the former

Hopefully, you now know that it is best for the SD or Help desk to log everything that comes into the SD or HD. This will, as others said, provide a record of how busy/ intense it gets.

I did a hourly statistics for each day of the week when I ran my NOC

It showed that even during off peak hours, there were stil 5-10 tickets raised each hour and that having merely 2 on that shift would sometime set over whelmed

So we had 4 - 1 T/L and 3 staff on a 24/7 rotating 4 on 4 off (12 hour shifts) and 4 additional staff during the peak time - 0600 - 2000

It worked out great and the number of stale incident.. low level incidents that hung around like nose nuggets or turd buttons dropped to zero after the staff had TIME to deal with the tickets properly

-----------

ah... caffine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: