Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ABurchfie
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 169
Overall: 130733

People Online:
Visitors: 106
Members: 3
Total: 109 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Downgrade/upgrade incident impact
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downgrade/upgrade incident impact

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guang

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Downgrade/upgrade incident impact Reply with quote

I have followed discussions in this forum since I took up a job as change process owner for a multi-nationals's IT department last summer and they have helped me a lot. Now I have a question I would like to put to forum and see your guy's opinion, since at my workplace it has caused a lot of discussion.

We have set up Incident, Problem, Change and Configuration and Service Level management based on ITIL. However this isn't really a centralized Service Desk (yet). My department is taking care of Business Applications (SAP etc), and for each application, there are defined first-line people who are located in the business. They are the first contact point for endusers, and in case they can not solve the problem, they will issue a ticket in our ticket system, which will land with our second line support.

Now we have set up the ticket system so that based on impact the first-line has given to the incident ticket and SLA for that application, a priority is calculated automatically and also the deadline to solve the incident is set.

Now sometimes, second-line does not agree on the impact first-line has given to the ticket and they want to downgrade the ticket impact. Here the opinion gets divided:
a) Some think that the impact of initial ticket mustn't be changed, second-line should convince first-line of their reasoning and ask them to close the initial ticket and create a new one with lower impact. (or create a new one for them).
b) Another opinion is that with agreement of firstline, secondline changes the impact, thus the priority and deadline for the ticket will be changed too.

Does ITIL give a general guideline on changing ticket impact/priority? And what are your experiences on this subject?

Thanks for any comments.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Simple

What is defined in your Incident mgmt policy about it ?

If it is not stated, then it needs to be

that aside, A incident may come in as a High, P1 because that is what the customer / user who made the complaint / call/ support call said it should be

If you dont have a defintion for 1st line as to impact, priority, you need one and the SD team (role) 1st line is the one who sets the priority

If the Nth line when assigned the incident sees that the priority needs to e changes, this too must be defined in yoru documentation

ITIL says,....document the policy

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guang,

That's a good question.

I agree with Viking but will expand slightly on one area.

What does the customer think? I know not all technical things are easy to explain in normal language, but priority of the over all work load is. If you go back to the customer and say we've had a look at this and realistically we don't feel we can complete this in the initial timeframe, given other commitments, they will tell you if there is a business reason to ligitimise keeping a higher priority.

Of course it's all in the way you explain it to them, tact is key, you need to 'suggest' it's unlikely, never tell them until they're being unreasonable!
And that's the Service Desk Manager's job right? He/She should have great customer service skills and command enough respect from the Business to get the message accross as needed.

Hope this helps,

UJ

(Beige badge)
Guang

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

thanks for your reaction so far.

Quote:
If you dont have a defintion for 1st line as to impact, priority, you need one and the SD team (role) 1st line is the one who sets the priority

Yes we do have a definition for the incident impact, it is defined in the customer SLA. But of cause any definition also has an interpretation issue. So it does happen that the impact set by first-line are disputed.

Quote:
Of course it's all in the way you explain it to them, tact is key, you need to 'suggest' it's unlikely, never tell them until they're being unreasonable!

Yes, I agree. That's also the incident process we are practicing now that second-line seek agreement of first-line to change the impact/priority.

But the debate we have is what to do with the initial incident tickets: do we change the impact/priority in the initial ticket after agreement. Or do we close the initial ticket and issue a new one with the correct impact/prio.

My stand is that we should change it in the intial ticket. This way the KPI we have will show the real number of prio1/2/3... incident. But some colleagues argues that changing ticket prio is not allow by ITIL.... Any comments?
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely every service/system/application/business process needs a defined incident priority absed on the impact being experienced?

Quite ok to upgrade or downgrade as the initial impact makes way for the actual impact, but there should be no argument based on opinion, only on documented criteria.
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see.

Irrespective of internal impact the incident still has the same impact no matter whether it was diagnosed correctly in the first place or now.

If you close the ticket and open a new one that's a NEW incident - did it happen again? No. Plus opening a new ticket makes reporting more comolicated and you'd have to factor in a DOUBLE the agent time on incident logging. Very inefficient.

Same ticket, change the priority.

And yes, fix the definitions and documentation as per Skinnera and then it won't be a constant subjective debate.

(Beige badge)
Salo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guang,

I haven’t seen any definition within any ITIL material that state that the initial priority is static and cannot be changed.

/// Salo
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guang wrote:
But some colleagues argues that changing ticket prio is not allow by ITIL.... Any comments?

Hi Guang,

So if your colleagues think that ITIL does not allow this, ask them to point out this "ITIL monster" that apparently (according to them) will come and punish you if you change the priority. ITIL should be about making life easier, not harder. Therefor, if your organisation decides to change the priority in the original call, so be it. Personally I think that would be a wise decision.

As John already said: as long as it is in your incident policy, it's ok.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guang

you said that second line disputed the impact assessment sometimes. Well, it's human nature and they could even be right, but second line is not the place to assess impact on customer.

Do they look at the assessment or just at the ranking? I've had many experiences of second line downgrading incidents because just one user was involved. But what if that user is about to close a big deal or send a vital government return, for example?

My own view is that you should only get into a debate about it if you can afford the spare time. So it has to be a quick debate. You can always review it afterwards.

If it happens a lot then problem management should pro-actively analyse whether and why first line are getting their assessments wrong and fix that problem. It could be because they are not getting good information from the users for example. you could then raise it at service review with the customer.
Guang

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your comments/inputs. They have made things more clearer for me Very Happy
Jay2

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Downgrade/upgrade incident impact Reply with quote

This is quite an interesting topic. Having faced the same issue, I also 'more or less' came to the same conclusion as UrgentJensen.

Say you need to change a prio 1 incident to a prio 2. Assuming there is a valid reason to actually change it, what to do?

Closing the existing incident and creating a new incident with a lower priority is an option, but yes the incident did not happen twice (which will show up in reporting, etc) so that has some negative sides. However, this way, reporting 'will' show that there was a prio 1 incident logged.

Changing the priority of the existing incident will also result in some questions. Again, how about reporting? If whoever decides that it's not a prio 1, but a prio 2 and changes the priority after a while, reporting will show that the incident logged was a prio 2...not a prio 1...EVEN though it did start as a prio 1.

I still haven't figured out what to do about this.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Downgrade/upgrade incident impact Reply with quote

Jay2 wrote:
However, this way, reporting 'will' show that there was a prio 1 incident logged.

Changing the priority of the existing incident will also result in some questions. Again, how about reporting? If whoever decides that it's not a prio 1, but a prio 2 and changes the priority after a while, reporting will show that the incident logged was a prio 2...not a prio 1...EVEN though it did start as a prio 1.

I still haven't figured out what to do about this.

But it wasn't a priority one incident, It was a priority two incident. The priority was initially set incorrectly. You don't want it counted among the priority one incidents at the end of the year because it did not happen.

You may want to investigate why it was wrongly prioritized and you do want to monitor how often priorities get changed. So you will want to record the change of priority.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Jay2

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Diarmid, you are right, it did not happen and therefore should not show up in the reports. Monitoring how often priorities get changed might not be possible in our current tools, I need to find that out. Thanks a lot for your input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: