Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KGoodisso
New Today: 17
New Yesterday: 49
Overall: 146046

People Online:
Visitors: 70
Members: 1
Total: 71 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Program Source is a CI ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Program Source is a CI ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheawn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Program Source is a CI ? Reply with quote

Hi. All,
I appreciate your clear reply about the above subject in advance.

I've been engaged in IT outsourcing company and nowadays, I've performed a CMDB construction project.

We analysed the CI Hierarchy, that is, Service-System-Subsystem-program source(?).

We have many in-house developed programs.

Question!
In-house developed programs, like .java, .pbl, .jsp, are CIs?

Our company's main job is a program development and a modifying program. So, they think the program is a very important CI. Thus by definition, program is included in a CMDB.
The reason why the program is included in a CMDB, is that the program is the basic information we perform a duty.
the program id may be used in the change management, and release management. We talk to each other about program id ususally. Thus the program is a CI.

But
I think the program is not CI. It is a another object managed by developer(like me..)
I think the program is a different kind of object which is managed by development system.

How do you think about the program CI(?).

Thanks.

Sheawn.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheawn,

no no no. the programs must not be managed by the developers. They are operational entities. They should no more managed by developers than your servers be managed by the manufacturers.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
mnsmith
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It's really up to your company whether they would gain any business benefit out of storing a program as a CI. If not, then don't bother.

My view is that deployed applications should be stored in the CMDB, where the CI is the lowest level of deployment you perform. So, for example, if you always bundle up all of your applications into one mamouth release, even if you just change one small part, then that would be your single CI.

Source code, however, should also be treated as a CI but stored in a source code management system (such as subversion), rather than referenced in the CMDB.

Hope that helps

Mick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: