Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KButtensh
New Today: 37
New Yesterday: 71
Overall: 146137

People Online:
Visitors: 60
Members: 0
Total: 60

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Best practice / ITIL based tool for small business?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best practice / ITIL based tool for small business?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoe41
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Best practice / ITIL based tool for small business? Reply with quote

I am trying to introduce some ITSM best practice within my organisation. Just joined. There isn't much ITIL knowledge here so there is a steep learning curve. I wouldn't call myself an expert either.

About 300 user base. There is an existing ticket logging tool in place. Quite basic. Very limited in areas and requires a high level of customisation.

The organisation has outgrown this tool now and needs to introduce some more efficient processes. I am starting off by doing an audit based on IS020000. Looking to form a plan based on gaps and risk etc.

HAve been invovled in an ITIL implementation project at a much larger org before. Two years of interesting debate. I know this is more people and behaviour than tools etc.

So having said that I am trawling the market for some likely suppliers for a ITIL based / orientated (not compliant!!!) tool for a small user base. Any recommendations / suggestions.

I need to put in a rough estimate for budgetary purposes at this stage.

thank you

Zoe
FGD
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your next step after the incident logging activities? How much effort does the customization imply? What results can you achieve with the existing tool? Do you get sufficient incident management information? Will you need detailed configuration information to handle change control?
My take on this would be to see where your organization is going in terms of ITSM before selecting a tool.
zoe41
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you. I usually say to customers don't go shopping when hungary.

With regards to the current tool in reality the level of customisation isn't appropriate so the current tool isn't supporting my basic needs which are:

Incident
problem
a level of trending and reporting upon closure classification to assist with proactive problem management.
third party management / slm
service requests
A level of asset management to integrate asset information within the tool for incident purposes.

I am not saying a fully functioning CMDB that would be some years off I suspect. So to answer the question on change and config I would like this to be a goal in the future. In the first instance the incident / problem and SLM with some decent reporting is my goal.

I do intend to go through the usual analysis cycle to determine these requirements a bit more in detail. I am currently trying to put a ballpark figure in a budget line.

I have for example started to look at remedy express. So if anyone has any suggestions of contenders. I'd be grateful.

zoe
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoe41 wrote:
I totally agree with you. I usually say to customers don't go shopping when hungary.

I have for example started to look at remedy express. So if anyone has any suggestions of contenders. I'd be grateful.

zoe

Zoe, since this is a tool-independant forum (and I am a tool independant consultant) I am not inclined to talk about specific tooling. However, there is a site where you can do a first comparison. This forum does not accept url's, but if you google on toolselector you should be able to find it. Keep in mind that this site will ONLY give you a general overview of tooling available. It will not tell you whether these tools fill in your business requirements.

Hope this helps,

Michiel
zoe41
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok I didn't realise the board restriction which makes in fact eminent sense. Zoe
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also look at the PinkVerify vendors and those on the Gartner Magic Quadrants and Forrester Wave as a way of shortlisting potentials.

Best to start with a clear idea of what you need before looking for a tool to support it though.
Doober
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m_croon wrote:
Zoe, since this is a tool-independant forum

Is it against the rules to post personal opinions / experiences with some of the tools that are out there?
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doober wrote:
m_croon wrote:
Zoe, since this is a tool-independant forum

Is it against the rules to post personal opinions / experiences with some of the tools that are out there?

No Doober, I know you are realy keen to talk about the new kid on the block etc. etc. etc.

I merely wanted to express that this forum is not sponsored by any tooling vendor as you yourself expressed in the past about other sites Wink
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doober,

Yes, you can post opinions about other tools - but, this is not a forum to slag a tool.

If some one asks - My company is looking at .... for an incident mgmt tool, does any one have any opinion

This would be a fine time to jump in and make your opinions known.

That beingsaid, every tool has its benefits/problems. A lot of issues with tools has to do with the implementation and development of that tool.

I have used the following tools - vantive, siebel, clarify, remedy, HP Service Desk, custom built applications (my own companys - BlueWeb Software) . Each has quirks etc

Merely slagging it off can be done to a tool - but expect me (at least) to rip the poster apart for not explaining things like - how did training, developement, testing procurement etc go

I find that problems with the tools usually can be foudn in one of those areas

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
ozz
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remedy is decent right out of the box , be careful not get lost in custom form hell.
Ozzie
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, ozz,I did not find remedy ok out of the box

It had to be tweaked to the customer's requirement

just like any tool

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: