Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RWessel
New Today: 17
New Yesterday: 53
Overall: 145938

People Online:
Visitors: 61
Members: 3
Total: 64 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - V2 - V3 Manager's Bridge - Pre Course Reading? Pass Rates?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

V2 - V3 Manager's Bridge - Pre Course Reading? Pass Rates?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanulondon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: V2 - V3 Manager's Bridge - Pre Course Reading? Pass Rates? Reply with quote

All,

Just passed V2 Managers in April (distinction Smile)

Have reserved a place on the V3 Bridge course in September, I am going with QA-IQ in the UK.

However I have a few questions regarding the bridge. It would appear that there isn't much PCR? Is this true?

I am told you dont have to buy the 5 books and work my way through them, apparently I am not going to be given the books as part of the course either, which I am disgusted about. Especially as I intend to pay £1.5k for this course.

So...what PCR can I do off my own back for this course? As I can't afford to fail. Are there any useful pocket books, or web resources?

PASS RATES

Also does anyone know what the pass rates are for the exam? Is it open book?? I know it's a Prince2 style multiple guess format

Answering 20 question apparently

Thanks
WendyB
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's NOT open book, and I actually bought all five books then read the relevant parts based on APMG's syllabus. That and the course and I was fine.

We had someone in the class who hadn't studied before it started, and failed by 2 questions.

I don't know the pass rate, sorry.

Wendy
TomOzITIL
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kanulondon,

How did you score in the v2 Mgrs? I did mine last year and got 70% for support and 81% for delivery. That being said, I took it seriously & studied pretty hard.

I am also doing the v2-3 bridge in Sept this year, in Australia via Lucid IT (ALC Training). My employer paid for my v3 books and I am referencing them quite alot in my day-to-day job (especially strategy & design).

I highly recommend buying the books if you have the $ means. At first the strategy book was pretty hard going but I'm getting the hang of it.

Anyway, good luck with your studies.
pel
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably ask your work to buy one set of books as reference for people working with the ITIL-processes (and maybe other people as well).

Having the books available is very helpful at times.
kanulondon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom:

I scored in the high 60's for both papers, so I didn't quite match up to your score Sad

But I like you worked very hard for my marks. Spent around 2 months revising and over 80hrs easily if not nearer 100hrs. Found past papers a real plus

I do have the means of buying books, but like I said I know a few people now who have just turned up, did the work and passed.

In UK there is no official PCR for my QA-IQ based course. I will try and get some overview books though. My course is also in Sept Smile
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PCR is basically all 5 books. When you consider that it takes 10 days to cover 2 books at V2, 4 or 5 days is not nearly enough to cover 5. If you really cannot buy the 5 books - which you would use for years - get hold of Foundations of IT Service Management Based on ITIL® V3 (english version)

ISBN: [9789087530570]
Price: €39.95.
Do not waste your money on the Key Element guides - They are not really much use.

The only pass rate figures I have are high, because it was only tutors who sat it at first,it was still being moderated, and about 80% of them passed. I would expect current rates to be lower. Contact APMG or ISEB and ask them. Ask QAIQ their pass rate.

It is multiple choice, but you need to score 80%. Some questions are easy, some ask you to remember details of diagrams, which depends on whether you remember that particular diagram. Some are scenario based, and seem almost a matter of opinion.
kanulondon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LizGallacher wrote:
The PCR is basically all 5 books. When you consider that it takes 10 days to cover 2 books at V2, 4 or 5 days is not nearly enough to cover 5. If you really cannot buy the 5 books - which you would use for years - get hold of Foundations of IT Service Management Based on ITIL® V3 (english version)

ISBN: [9789087530570]
Price: €39.95.
Do not waste your money on the Key Element guides - They are not really much use.

The only pass rate figures I have are high, because it was only tutors who sat it at first,it was still being moderated, and about 80% of them passed. I would expect current rates to be lower. Contact APMG or ISEB and ask them. Ask QAIQ their pass rate.

It is multiple choice, but you need to score 80%. Some questions are easy, some ask you to remember details of diagrams, which depends on whether you remember that particular diagram. Some are scenario based, and seem almost a matter of opinion.

Thanks for the advice Liz.

I am not totally convinced that reading through all 5 books solid is the PCR. I've been told otherwise, and do you really think it's sensible? Bearing in mind they say you need to prepare 2 weeks before the course?

Did all the tutors read all 5 books?

Not meaning to come across funny, I just want to ensure I give myself the best opportunity to pass first time.

I don't think I'll be able to buy all the 5 books through work and I am not willing to self fund...as I have already forked out for the course Embarassed

Anyway will take a look at that book, I have purchased the cut down version of it already. But I guess you don't think that will suffice along with QA-IQ PCR?

KL
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is up to you - reading all 5 is best, but the stuff from QA-IQ and the other book will help - but you said you wanted the best chance, and the best chance means all 5. The other reading gives you a good chance
kanulondon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Liz.

QA-IQ sent out PCR 2 weeks before course. As I said a couple of people from work have used only the PCR and studies to pass.

As V3 isnt used so much now I dont think I will fork out for books just yet. I did however order your recommendation from Amazon Razz
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got all 5 books landing on my desk today - V3 Manager's Bridge course is in 6 weeks. Each one of the books looks to be somewhere between 250-300 pages long so I must admit that reading through them all doesn't exactly look like an appealing task, particularly as like most ITIL books they're hardly a gripping read.

Ah well - needs must.

Any advice on the order in which to tackle them at least? Strategy, Design, Transition, Operation then Improvement seems to be the suggested route.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the Official route - but many people are so put off by Strategy which is written in a very off-putting "Aren't I clever?" way, that they never get any further. I would start with Design, Transition, Operations, CSI, then Strategy. I have also heard suggested to do it CSI, Operations, Transition, design, then Straegy, sounds weird, but it kind of works, you keep digging back - how you Operate depends on how it was transitioned, which depends on etc.
The other book which is good to read is the ITSM Library one, which summarizes everything for about £30, and can be put in your pocket and read on the train!
TomOzITIL
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did tne Mgrs bridge course & exam last week. Expect I will be right around the 16/20 pass score (+ or - 1 Sad ). The course was quite good, al;though rushed and my main gripe was that we only had 1x practice exam and frankly that wasn't much like the one we actually sat, in terms of the scenarios being quite short and of course probably about 5 of the questions were very very tricky.

One thing I highly recommend is studying up very carefully on the Functions in service mgt, eg: What ITIL processes Applications Management supports and how. I'm pretty sure I got tricked up on a couple of questions in this area.

Oh well, only a few hundred bucks for a resit if I screwed up Crying or Very sad
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom - sounds like we had pretty much identical experiences. I'm waiting for my results but I reckon I'm +/- 1 from the pass mark. Of course I want to pass the first time but for me the good news was that it wasn't as much of a stretch as I thought it was going to be. 80% is a very high pass mark for something where the answers are so black and white but a red badge, service management experience and a dose of commonsense gets you more than half way there before you have even had the training course IMHO.

Did you get your results yet?
TomOzITIL
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scored 18 and passed ok.

Huge relief as when I came out of the exam and did the post-mortem at the pub I realised that I royally messed up 2 questions (I think).

Did well on the rest of them I guess.

How did you go BB?

PS: Exam was through EXIN.
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will probably be another week before I get the results - I'm still reading through the books just in case its bad news.

Congrats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: