Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: bhushanm
New Today: 19
New Yesterday: 97
Overall: 149963

People Online:
Visitors: 42
Members: 0
Total: 42

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Creating the service design architecture
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating the service design architecture
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanjeevITIL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Creating the service design architecture Reply with quote

Hi there: I need to create a GAP analysis document (vis-a-vis ITIL Version 3) for an already running (not in good shape), service architecture.

What are the bullets points which forms the framework ofthe GAP analysis document (in light of ITIL V3).

Any pointers in this direction will be appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Sanjeev
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sanjeev,

this is in the wrong section.

I don't have access to the v3 documents (except the summary), but surely the chapter/section/sub headings would form the framework for a gap analysis?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
pel
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused.

The bulletpoints in your GAP analysis is pretty much decided from how your current service architecture is (or not) working and how that differs from how you want it to work. It is not a static list of bullet points.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pel,

pel wrote:
I am confused.

The bulletpoints in your GAP analysis is pretty much decided from how your current service architecture is (or not) working and how that differs from how you want it to work. It is not a static list of bullet points.

You have it the wrong way round. The bullet points are derived from how you want it to work (e.g. the ITIL books). In a gap analysis you are trying to find out what parts are not working or missing in your current service architecture.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
m_croon
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanjeev,

Consider working according to ITIL v2. In that case, you can use the ISO20.000 requierements (based on ITIL) as a bulletlist for analysis (without needing to certify for ISO20K of course).

Regards,

Michiel
pel
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid wrote:
pel,

You have it the wrong way round. The bullet points are derived from how you want it to work (e.g. the ITIL books). In a gap analysis you are trying to find out what parts are not working or missing in your current service architecture.

I see your point but I meant the same thing; the only difference is the direction of the GAPs Smile
SanjeevITIL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Creation of the Service design document for a customer Reply with quote

Hi : Thanks for the insight.

Here, I have moved a further and drafted the TO - BE Service architecture document for the customer. In this I have selected each module of the v3 and tried to balance it with the customer requirements.

Moving ahead, I now need to create another detailed document which will describe how exactly every module of V3 will operate in the customer premises, takng into consideration the operational and busioness aspects of the customer.

Here I seek a gidance in determining the level of the detailings I should go in for each V3 module(IM,PM,RM, etc...). Must it so detailed as to helpa implementer to customise the Remedy/HP service Desk etc ?

Have anyone created such document which describes in detail the service design for a specific engagement / cusotmer?

Please comment and guide.

Thanks in advance
sanjeev
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanjeev,

I'm not sure what kind of advice will be useful to you here. The level of detail is what is required to ensure the good working of the processes. This is largely a function of the nature of the people and the environment in which the processes take place.

So, inexpert staff, high staff turnover and complexity of the operations all affect how much detail are required.

The very minimum is the expression of policy and objectives in all procedures and this includes criteria for decision making and authority.

The very maximum of detail is to stop short of damaging efficiency by swamping staff with too much.

I don't see how to be specific about your case without analysing the specific circumstances.

You say that you need to create a document, but you do not say what the purpose of the document is. Reflect on the purpose and consider the circumstances and the required level of detail should begin to emerge.

You ask if it should be sufficient to instruct/guide an implementer. - Is that part of its purpose? Or will there be other documents for that purpose?
William Penn 1644-1718
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I think a bit of decent consultancy would be useful seeing as this piece of work is taking so long to develop.

UJ

(Beige badge)
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrgentJensen wrote:
Yep I think a bit of decent consultancy would be useful seeing as this piece of work is taking so long to develop.

UJ

I can start tomorrow!
William Penn 1644-1718
SanjeevITIL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Friends,

The detailed Target Service Architecture Document will let the customer see hpw the various processes (IM/PM/CM/RM) will be functioning / operating in his business and operational environment.

So, these V3 process detailing in this document must be so deep so as to allow customer to see that "OKAY this is the way all the incients in my Org will flow end to end".

Now, after I am able to make customer happy seeing this doc, the next objective is to transalate those process workflows into technicalities(e.g. How the C T I will be created, Hpw the CMDB will be conceptualised and then populated on regular basis, how to derive the Esclation matrix for varuois suport tracks, How to assign the ratings to the CIs--- Threat + vulnerablity analysis, how this can be done, How the SLA will be confgured in tool[Remedy or HP Service Desk].................). So friends, do U think I need to mention all these technalities as mentioned within the round braces in my document.

regards
sanjeev
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends

are you planning to pay any of us for consulting or even DOING your job ?

What you asking is beyond advice and opinion

you are asking us to do your job

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
SanjeevITIL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friend: Probably my text is reflecting the different aspect.
My request is to have uour opinion about whether or not must I incude the items mentioned in braces in the document.

I have doubt that if I mantion all this in detailed Target Service Architecture Document, then what will I mention in the IMplamantation document?

regards
sanjeev
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask this -

what is the purpose of the document ?
Who is the audience ?

My not so humble but arrogant opinion.

It is ultimately your document and your responsibility/creidibility on the line for this document.

While you can ask us our opinion about major items / focus of the document set, none of us are part of your company nor have an idea of what your customer wants /expects.

Only you do .

I think you are being lazy in writing your document.

From what I can infer from your post, you are using the 5 ITIL v3 books - chapters/ heading /etc to produce your own document.

I think that instead... you should base this document - what ever its purpose - on what services you can actually provide to your customer and weigh that document against IT Operations - Incident, problem, change, config and release as well as IT Planning - etc

But .. as I said.. it is YOUR document

I can not tell / advise you what font to you, how to format the document, or what to puit in the document

I can only give my opinion

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanjeev,

I think you will find that my posts and that of UJ are pretty much in line with what John is saying, not that I can ever hope to have his facility with language in expressing myself.

The only way to answer your question further is to know everything about your circumstances and that cannot be achieved at the forum, nor is it reasonable to expect people to freely analyse your requirement to such depth as to provide a confident and useful answer.
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: