Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LSwayne
New Today: 29
New Yesterday: 97
Overall: 141281

People Online:
Visitors: 69
Members: 2
Total: 71 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - The upkeep of Active Directory
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The upkeep of Active Directory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: The upkeep of Active Directory Reply with quote

I would like to get a general feel on where the houskeeping of the Active Directory specifically the removal of disabled assets falls under. My personal feeling is as part of Change and Config rather than Release Management but wondered if this was in fact the standard rhater than just my personal opinion.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends

What does your documentation say or not say about objects in Active Directory

If you have processes for adding and remove users when they join and leave the company, then technically you have a standard change

same applies to new laptops desktops etc

but ITIL does not care whether AD is included in any process. YOU Should decide whether the application and the supporting process should be

IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU DESIRE TO CONTROL / NEED

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
MB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: The upkeep of Active Directory Reply with quote

[quote="MB"]I would like to get a general feel on where the houskeeping of the Active Directory specifically the removal of disabled assets falls under. My personal feeling is as part of Change and Config rather than Release Management but wondered if this was in fact the standard than just my personal opinion.[/quote]

Thank you for the response.

There are processes in place for JML, additional/replacement & BER assets. However the issue regarding disabled assets has not been identified previously.

The Release team carried out an initial project to remove assets showing as disabled in Active Directory as we report on objects (PCS) within OUs for testing and general release of software upgrades. We needed to have a true and accurate reflection of the estate and so completed the 1st wave of investigation and housekeeping.

From the project, we have found that:
1) Assets are continually moved around within OUs
2) More assets have been disabled with no clear indication as to why
3) Whether the processes in place for adding new and removing old assets are being followed as agreed.

We cannot directly monitor AD as this is carried out by a 3rd party service provider. We have requested a weekly report to establish who is moving assets around & to ascertain why assets are being moved.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is NOT an ITIL issue

This is A 3RD PARTY VENDOR ISSUE

as you have stated some one else is in control of your AD

It is not your change, release or config issue . It is theirs

In addition, what are the objects

Servers ? desktops ? etc

This is also a MICROSOFT ISSUE not an ITIL ISSUE

This has to do with how well or poorly AD has been configured for you by your service provider

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
UrgentJensen
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Viking, about as close to ITIL as this gets is the idea of getting your underpinning contracts in place before looking at your OLAs and SLAs.

MB - Sort out your service agreement first.

Cheers,

UJ

(Beige badge)
MB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: The upkeep of Active Directory Reply with quote

MB wrote:
I would like to get a general feel on where the houskeeping of the Active Directory specifically the removal of disabled assets falls under. My personal feeling is as part of Change and Config rather than Release Management but wondered if this was in fact the standard rhater than just my personal opinion.

Appreciate the clarification and will pursue the issues that were identified and confirmed through this discussion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: