Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JSager
New Today: 59
New Yesterday: 49
Overall: 146088

People Online:
Visitors: 62
Members: 5
Total: 67 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Incidents to problems correlation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incidents to problems correlation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mredekar
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Incidents to problems correlation Reply with quote

Hello All,
We have client whose PM process has been implemented and we want to define a goal for correlation of Incidents to the defined Problems. Please discuss as to how many incidents (by %) should ideally have correlation established with problem tickets?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!
mnsmith
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't really a question for an ITIL forum, as the answer will be very specific to your clients, however if it was me I would want 0% of my incidents to be related to a problem, because this would mean that my problem management process was very proactive and resolved problems before any incident was raised.

Mick
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manoj,

how can you do that? Certainly not generically because different service environments are susceptible to different kinds of problems and incidents.

Now I see Mick has got in ahead of me. I rather agree with his answer which leads to the conclusion that you can do it relatively by first measuring the current ratio and then setting improvement targets. Even then you could be messed up by changes in the service environment.

By service environment, I intend not only the software and hardware infrastructure and the service support organization and processes, but also the nature of and behaviour of the users and the business drivers behind it all. If you keep all that stable, then you can probably rely on the type and characteristics of incidents remaining the same except that each problem resolution will do away with a set of incidents. Hopefully.

[edit] I think I've persuaded myself that it is unlikely to be a meaningful (in the sense of useful) statistic.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
mredekar
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mick as well as William. Thanks for the replies.

I need to add little more clarity to know why I a asked for the discussion.
We want teams to improve Incident trend analysis so that they identify problems, create a Problem ticklet and correlate Incidents showing the said trend. PM reslution should follow then. That's the initiative.

At this maturity of Problem management , we want to set a goal for these teams which can imply a 'good' amount of Incident trend analysis and investigation is in place.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manoj,

the other issue that kyboshes this is that Problem Management should be looking at the highest cost/risk areas rather than most incidents.

I'm not William Penn by the way. Wish I was that clever. Smile
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Brian1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Diarmid, measuring problem management performance in terms of volume may not be the best approach. Diarmid's suggestion that you measure it in terms of risk/cost provides the base for a stronger conversation with your client.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: